How to Load Windows 7 on a CF-30 MK1 Model

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atisvt99

atisvt99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I'm loading Win7Pro 32 on a Mk1 CF-30... so far the whole thread has been helpful (thanks for all the info!)... I'm having one problem though, I can't get the touch-screen to work. I've downloaded and tried all the drivers mentioned in this thread and nothing will seem to make the laptop take any 'input' from touching the screen... I see the 'flicks' icon in the system tray, and the Tablet PC as well as Pen applets in the control panel... nothing lets me input via touch though.

Any input?? thanks all!

- justin

2. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Welcome to the nut house. First, it helps if we have the full model number, ie. CF-30Cxxxxxx. Second, is the touch screen visible and enabled in the bios screen?
    CAP

3. atisvt99

atisvt99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ha, thanks... Happy to be here :)

This is a CF-30CASCZBM (L2400 1.66Ghz CPU - only 32 bit though)... I've updated the Bios to the Vista flavor (V1.01L20 w/ V1.10L11 Embedded Controller). The only thing I see under Bios -> Main is 'Touch Pad' though... should I be seeing something about 'Touch Screen' somewhere else perhaps?

Thanks for the quick reply!

- justin

4. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    A little history will help. Is this a new to you unit? Did it have another OS on it? Did the Touchscreen ever work for you?

CF 30 Mk1 Will not have Touchscreen listed in the Vista Bios.

Make a Ubuntu 10.10 live CD and boot it. If the Touchscreen hardware is ok, It WILL WORK in Ubuntu 10.10..
    http://toughbooktalk.com/public_downloads/index.php?dir=Ubuntu%2010.10%20%27Toughbook%20Version%27-/&file=ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386--.iso
    If the touchscreen is bad, contact board member sadlmkr. He will fix you up with a touchscreen, or possibly repair yours.

CPU:
    C - Core Duo L2400 - 1.66GHz (Centrino Duo)-802.11a/b/g
    Display and Keyboard:
    A - 13.3" Touch-1,000 nit + Emissive Backlit keys
    Hard Disk Drive, Base memory, Optical Drive and UL1604 (Haz Loc):
    S - 80GB HDD + 1GB RAM
    Integrated Options:
    C - GPS + Bluetooth
    Integrated Wireless Option:
    Z - No WWAN
    Operating System:
    B - Win XP
    Destination:
    M - North America

5. atisvt99

atisvt99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Good to know, I looked or a page somewhere that would tell me what the letters meant...

I'm rebuilding this for a friend. I have sent him a txt asking if the Touch ever worked, but I'm fairly certain it DID work before I wiped it... I have his original hard drive win WinXP Pro still, I could always downgrade the Bios and put that back in (albeit a pain in the butt to unpack the actual drive from the cage, haha). I upgraded the ram to 4GB, put in a 250GB SSD, and upgraded the bios... has a fresh build of Win7 Pro 32bit installed... Everything works, (except for GPS which I purposefully left disable in the Bios) and there are no '!' in the device manager...

6. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    If you have the correct BIOS installed you should be able to just install it (If you have the Misc Driver installed) and then go to Control Panel to calibrate it. To make it easier for next time... You can pin the calibration icon to the start bar... Along with the User's Manual.

7. atisvt99

atisvt99 Newbie

Reputations:
    I do have the correct BIOS installed... and I also have the 'misc' driver installed. What are you referring to when you say "you should be able to just install IT"? The 'tscreen' driver, I take it? I've installed several versions of it, with no luck... and if I go to the calibration screen in the CP, it never registers my finger touching the screen... but Windows sees this as a Tablet PC and if you go to the System info page (right click computer, click properties) under the 'Pen and Touch:' it reads "Single Touch Input Available"... whatever that means.

8. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    By "it" he means the touchscreen, Trust me on this, download the iso and make the Ubuntu live cd. Boot the cd and you will know for sure the condition of the touchscreen. Otherwise, you will spend hours trying to guess if it's a hardware of software issue.

9. atisvt99

atisvt99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Shawn, I downloaded 12.04 LTS and ran if off a thumb drive... Still no touch screen support. Under 'All Settings' -> 'Hardware' I do see a 'Wacom Graphics Tablet'... not sure if that is showing up because of some present hardware on this Toughbook, or if that is always there, regardless of system. I'm starting to think that the touch interface is dead on this guy. :(

10. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    With the Vista bios it thinks you have a tablet. Correctly.

For each session, the kernel loads the drivers for the hardware that it sees.

Vista and W7 treat the touchscreen as a tablet.

XPP treats it as a touchscreen.

If you want to try a little code: (from 12.04 terminal)

Code:
    dmesg | grep Tablet
    if this yields results you have a bad touchpanel if you have no action from touch input.

Code:
    lshw
    (list of hardware the system sees)

From W7 [sytem][device manager][hid]will show two or more generic devices
    From XPP [device manager][hid]will show Fujitsu.

And to wrap it up Mark 1 does not show touchscreen in bios. That is why device manager is your tool of choice.

Good luck.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.