[How To] Load different Nvidia Drivers for different GPUs

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by kakashisensei, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    hmm... that might be the case.

2. kakashisensei

kakashisensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been using this for a few weeks now and I haven't seen any issues other than a few minor ones. One issue was that the pci-express device in device manager had some issue initializing before I got to install the driver for the other gpu. This prevented the gpu from showing up in the system. I just uninstalled the pci-express device in device manager, rescan devices, and it initializes correctly and the gpu device shows up. Once I have the drivers set for both gpus, I stop getting this pci-express issue.

I do not need to manually re-install drivers after gpu switches, windows will do this automatically from its driverstore at startup after I switch gpus. I do not use GFE to install drivers and any automatic driver updating is disabled from any source.

If I boot with my 970m and its the first load after switching gpus, it will take 1-2 mins to load up 398.11 driver at windows startup. If its consecutive booting on the same gpu, it will not need to take 1-2 mins to load up the driver, its already set. Vice versa for my 980 ti, it will load 425.31 driver at windows startup.

One driver issue I've encountered is that nvidia application profiles will get reset after every gpu switch. Custom resolutions, control panel settings like monitor settings, however get saved and are still there after I switched gpu's multiple times.

I have to do this since my 970m is borderline unusable on any driver after 398.11. For any driver after that, the nvidia driver crashes any time I alt tab out of the 3d application, and it only behaves this way on the 970m. I thought it could have been the prema vbios (totally forgot I even had it flashed). I retried stock vbios but same issue. I am upgrading to a 2080 ti in my AGA and 398.11 doesn't support that.

I had tried @judyal57 method to get the dell driver to load for the dgpu and newer nvidia driver for the aga gpu. But I could never get it to work. The latter driver install would load the driver for both gpus.

Now that I think about it, I think @judyal57 method could be the same concept as what I proposed here. Perhaps the dell driver he is using for the dgpu is old and doesn't have the gpu compatibility in the INF file for his AGA gpu. So windows and dell driver can't load for the AGA gpu since the INF says it doesn't support it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.