How to install nVIDIA Graphics Driver in Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Ultra Male, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Not too bad... 50x32... also got that tray utility @Stooj mentioned. Now I need to see how it works at 52x32.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Within 2 years, I'm gonna freeze whichever version of W10 I'm using or else grab some LTSB keys from ebay to upgrade all my PCs and switch to Linux permanently.

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I may stop my benching and switch to Linux permanently as well. There is getting to be too much stupid nonsense to deal with and I am getting fed up with the nonstop flow of crap we are seeing from Micro$lop, NVIDIA, Intel and AMD. Everything made by this insane clown posse of tech-tarded morons is either lackluster, broken, artificially crippled/capped by cancer firmware so they can meter performance (e.g. GeFarts vBIOS) or driven by cheap gimmicks... or a unwholesome combination of all of the above. I'm getting tired of giving my hard-earned money to these stupid garbage kings.

4. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Amen to that. As a daily Linux user as my main computing rig, Window'$ has only been for games and benching. That's absolutely it. I don't even log into my email with M$ rubbish.

What's sad is that they have such a monopoly, providing users with the convenience factor that would take a major brain cleansing to shy away from...

I strongly encourage people to check out Linux Mint w/ Cinnamon. You can make it what you want and it is awesome. Heck, if you want to make it look like window'$ or O$X you can do that too..

There is Freedom in the computing world with Linux ...or remain prisoners to the goons...

It's great to see more focus on Linux @Mr. Fox ... I'll join you in this quest for sure ...

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    This isn't related to installing GeForce drivers in Linux, but it's still pretty cool because it is just one more example that shows Windows 10 performance sucks compared to Windows 7 and Linux. Somewhat off topic, but a good incentive to figure out how to run Linux and install GeForce drivers if you are fed up with the Windows 10 bloatware filth-o-rama.

Here is a comparison of Cinebench runs with Linux versus Windows 7 and Windows 10 with the same BIOS settings. As suspected, Windows 10 is the loser (status quo). Linux beats Windows 10 and comes very close to matching Windows 7. These are the best of 3 back-to-back runs (using Cinebench "Keep best score" feature).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jclausius, Papusan and ALLurGroceries like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    So, now it's quad-boot, LOL.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    jclausius, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I just ran CPU-z from C drive and somewhat it runs/works.
    upload_2019-3-16_0-21-59.png

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Consider ditching Windows Boot Manager, and using systemd.boot instead.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I will have to Google that and find out what you are referring to and how to use it. I am having to figure stuff out as I go and information isn't robust like Windows. Does systemd.boot work with legacy BIOS, or UEFI? I asked because I switched everything over (reinstalled Windows as well) to legacy because I could not get Linux Mint to run on my X299 Dark motherboard with UEFI mode. It installed painlessly without any glitches at all in legacy BIOS mode.

I am still trying to figure out how to implement the boot parameters to disable Spectre and Meltdown that @ALLurGroceries mentioned in post #61, LOL.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Oh; it's amongst a choice of bootloaders that you can use to boot Linux, or any other OS.

About half a decade ago it used to be LILO; a lot of people use GRUB/GRUB2 now, but setup for that is insanely complicated. systemd.boot is a very simple, lightweight UEFI bootloader.

steberg likes this.