How to get your Sager Intel 2nd Generation core i7 to run ram @ 1600mhz speed

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by JosephThaiNguyen, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosephThaiNguyen

JosephThaiNguyen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    *Note* "This is not a official guide so do at your own risk. "
    Short Version How to:

Make sure you have an i7 2720QM CPU processor or greater. Install the 1600mhz compatible ram at 2 DIMM slot only. I recommend using Patriot PSD38G1600SK. If you want to be safe I recommend you go down and read on further.

In Depth Version How to:

Sager currently uses 2 type of Intel Chipset. The HM65 and HM67.

The following models that use Intel HM65 Express are:
    NP5160, NP5175, NP5170, NP8130, and NP8150

The following model that use Intel HM67 Express are:
    NP8170

In order to utilize the speed 1600mhz properly you have to have a supporting CPU processor which are:
    i7 2720QM, i7 2820QM, and i7 2920XM
    (In other words I would not recommend using i7 2630QM)

The Intel HM65 can only use 2 DIMM Slot at 1600mhz. (So remove your old ram when installing)

*Note* "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility was pulled of the web sometime and is not available for download for laptops"
    The Intel HM67 can use all 4 DIMM Slot at 1600mhz with Intel extreme tuning utility, (XTU). There has been some reported problems using the XTU, of not saving or booting up at all. So running 1600mhz isn't stable. This could be faulty memory, chipset, or software.

Choosing the right ram can be tricky. Most of them will tell they run at 1600mhz but they do run at 1600mhz by default it requires XTU because it uses XMP (extreme memory profile). This is what happen to me I brought 1600mhz and it only ran at 1333mhz. I recommend not using XMP ram unless you want all 4 DIMM slots to run at 1600mhz but you need to have the HM67 chipset to do this. If you're not sure you can PM me.

*Note* "This is for 8GB of RAM using 2 DIMM slots I have not tested or tried out lesser memory RAM"

RAM that run @ 1600mhz by default are the following:
    (In other words it works out the of box at 1600mhz)

Patriot PSD38G1600SK (Test and works fine)
    Kingston KHX1600C9S3K2/8G (I have not tested but from what I hear it should work)

XMP RAM that run @ 1600mhz that require Intel XTU software are the following:
    (In other words does not run at 1600mhz out the box. Runs at default 1333mhz.)

Kingston KHX1600C9S3K2/8GX

To Install the Ram first you have disconnect your battery and unplugged the laptop. Then you have to remove your existing 1333mhz RAM or any ram that has lower speeds. The default location for RAM when you purchase a sager is under your keyboard. To remove the keyboard pop the speaker grill off. I used a small flat head screwdriver on the upper top right corner near the hard drive light indicator. I actually don't it exactly on the corner but more on top left near it. Using a flat head screwdriver will leave a plastic indentation if you do not do it properly. I'll take pictures if requested. Once you pop the speaker grill off remove the screws that hold the keyboard. Once you located the ram, open the 2 clip the sometime moving outwards this should pop the ram out. After you remove the old ram install the new by placing it in a slight angle and pushing it down in align with the contacts. Make sure they are securely in or your computer will not boot.

*Tip* I know for the NP8130 the keyboard ribbon kind of block the access to the ram. You can remove it to make the installation easier, just be very careful when popping opening the brown clips they can break! If you are uncomfortable about removing the keyboard. You can slide the keyboard upwards and install one location. Then slide the keyboard downwards and install the other location. Just be gentle while doing this so you won't break anything. Once the ram is install you can leave everything apart and plug in the power supply. Turn on the laptop to test if your computer boots up If it does turn it off and put everything back together. This step is just to test to make sure everything works before you do final assembly.

In conclusion to see if you have faster speed ram working you can check in bios, depending what version you got. If your using Windows vista/7 you can check in the window experience index and see the improvement in ratings it should be 7.8 or 7.9; You also download software to see hardware information. If your using Linux I don't know yet. Enjoy the faster speed and benefits of using the latest Intel second generation core i7. Cheers.

P.S. If you do not know what to do with your old RAM you can donate it to me and I will use it for a noble cause. Wow this took almost 2 hours to type. I guess I type slow.

2. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
  3. TheGreatAnonymous

TheGreatAnonymous Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great guide. Would love to see some benchmarks done since the general concensus seems to be that 1600 mhz ram doesn't really make much of a difference. Also kind of annoying that it doesn't 'just work.' At least it maxes out the Windows Experience Index score though, more bragging rights!

4. JosephThaiNguyen

Reputations:
  5. JosephThaiNguyen

Reputations:
    Thank you. From what I read 1333mhz and 1600mhz doesnt make a big difference. But it does feel cool to know its actually working.

6. DEagleson

Reputations:
    Intel XTU wont launch. D:
    Got a Clevo P170HM (Sager 8170).

Maybe see if i can do a bios upgrade but im not expecting miracles.

7. JosephThaiNguyen

Reputations:
  8. DEagleson

Reputations:
    Another place to grab the Intel XTU is on the Clevo website.

9. JosephThaiNguyen

Reputations:
    Oh thanks did you try using the one clevo provide?

10. DEagleson

Reputations:
    Recieved same error with the Intel XTU i downloaded from Clevo. D:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.