How to get the Synaptics Touchpad Settings after the recent Windows update

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Ultra Male, Nov 21, 2018.

1. AU4U

AU4U Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ya know what really sucks ... Updated to W10 1903 and its still not fixed properly.
    Having a GT75 is a penalty for ownership .... Geeeesh.

2. Bobbert9

Bobbert9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how is everything else after that update to 1903? I don't use my touch pad so I wouldn't miss that.

3. LarrySB

LarrySB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The problem is the app is signed with a security certificate that expired in August 2018.

You can download the whole package at MSI's support (at least for my GS65 Stealth) and the app is embedded inside. Unzip (extract all) the down load. Right click the appx and pick the digital signature tab. You'll see it is expired.

You can choose to import the expired cert and trust it on your local system, then turn on "sideload" for developers and the app will install.

FWIW, it does work a little better with the app and you can set more features.

Bottom line, MSI needs to rattle Synaptics to re-sign the app and update their download and the one in the store. I think the reason it will not download is that the Windows Store knows it is no longer certified.

gweempose likes this.
  4. gweempose

gweempose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm confused. Where exactly do I find this "appx" file you are referring to? I went to MSI's site to see what drivers were available for my GP75. Under TouchPad, the only available download is an Intel Serial IO Driver. I downloaded this package and unzipped it, but I do not see any "appx" file or any sort of reference to "Synaptics".

5. AU4U

AU4U Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The missing Windows TP controls and the Synaptic GUI still missing from mouse settings. SymMsiDApp works fine.
    The sleep/hibernate black screen on wake issue still persists, I shut down and don't sleep, I gave up on fixing it.
    Most everything is OK though, really the only 2 things.
    Occasionally SteelSeries update goes wonky and a clean install is necessary.
    Nvidia doesn't give me any problems.
    I got rid of Nahimic which is problematic software, I don't need it as VLC has much better DSP settings.
    I really like my series GT75.

Bobbert9 likes this.