How to get best sound on 5.1 surround USB headphones ???

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by mite_jan, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mite_jan

mite_jan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Today i bought for the first time 5.1 Surround headphones with usb connector
    link TEAC Europe - HP-6D - Surround Sound Headset

at first i was happy with the thought that i can use creative X-fi with them on my G73 but then i was dissapointed that it don't work becouse they are on USB connector

so when i plug them a driver installs (Speakers 2- C-Media USB headphone set)

so how can i configure them for best sound?
    i think there is software with them also but they are compatible with xp and vista , nothing for windows 7

i want to experience some quality surrounding sound if that is possible with them

alchemy for games?

2. ryanlecocq

ryanlecocq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It will vary with software, but here's an idiot tip (me being the idiot, because it took me a week to figure this out):

Don't forget to go into your control panel, select sound settings and change speaker configuration to 3D/Surround. No matter what software you use, windows will block your headphones from working in surround if you leave this in stereo.

Sorry if that's obvious, but I raged much at my Creative drivers til I figured it out.

3. mite_jan

mite_jan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    that is an awesome tip man and i wouldn't remember probably
    i checked it and it is automatically changed to 5.1

so now next is how can i test those 5 speakers ...
    i think they were some demo programs about the sound (helicopter)
    ah never mind i can test it in the speaker config also

4. Networc

Networc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't have surround sound headphones, but whenever I help someone setup a home theater I like to find a constant sound in a game and slowly spin the camera. If you can track the sound as it circles you then you're good-to-go. Try it with your eyes shut and see if you can still track it.