1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

how to flash your bios with dos using a usb stick:

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by zfactor, May 3, 2008.

1. Bill F

Bill F Notebook Consultant

Thanks for the guide.
    I finally updated to 20(system)/12(KB) and neither the refresh or phlash16 commands worked.
    Is it because I put the 2 BIOSes in different folders?
    I had to run the update.bat and it automatically updated, while running the fans on high and beeping.
    I apparently had the version 5 KB bios. lol

Anyway though I am concerned that the BIOS update program didn't prompt me, it just started flashing away.
    Its not as good as an experience as say flashing a Dell laptop BIOS because you have prompts, and its easier to flash the BIOS, especially with only 1 BIOS. (and you can do it in windows, unless your crossflashing BIOSes with forcing commands...;) )

One thing I should mention though, the first boot screen now loads faster, and the laptop now boots with an expresscard attached.
    I also have a new mem execute option or something in the BIOS.
    I think its the execute disable bit but it wasn't called that and there wasn't any info about it in the BIOS, like the other options.

2. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

depends on the bios which command it needs now. the update is what you should have used. im writing a new guide to include many different models of notebooks this time around

3. chrisrummy

chrisrummy Newbie

Thanks Z i was able to update my clevo to 1.00.22, but i did not get any oc menus. i also would like to edit the bios splash screen mine now says style note and i would like to change it to a pic and diff message, was wondering if you had any idea how to do that.

thanks

chris

4. LAZAS

LAZAS Notebook Guru

Is there a website where I could find all the Bios updates for Clevo m570ru, because some of the Rapidshare links are dead ?

5. KSCH

KSCH Newbie

Hello every one, sry my English!

Since yesterday i have a big problem with my Clevo M40AE, i have flashed the wrong Bios, i flashed the Bios of Clevo M40A (ver. 1.05) and i flashed the graphic card ATI Radeon X700 256MB (M26) with (Ver. BR12207B) too. Now when i start my notebook i have just a black screen. I tried the method with the USB Bootable but i have seen that i cant write any thing blind and i think my Keyboard doesn't write (no reaction on pressing CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK!!! --> Keyboard out of funktion).

Now it is there any buddy who has an idea how to fix this miserable problem? pls

PS: Cool forum!!!

6. KSCH

KSCH Newbie

I am thinking about to create an Bootable CD or USB Stick, who start automatically the Flashing program, because i cant press any thing on my Keyboard but the CD-ROM reader do something (led is on and it turns for 2-3sec, maybe its searching something).

-------------------
    Clevo M40AE
    Intel Pentium M 760 2GHz
    ATI Radeon Mobility X700 (M26 256MB)
    100GB HDD Fujitsu
    (Last running Bios Phoeanix ver. 1.02)
    WLAN, GigaEthernet, Bluetoth, Cam Integratet
    Swiss Keyboard

7. Tarentum

Tarentum Notebook Deity

Have you tried an external keyboard? Have you tried clearing your CMOS/doing a hard reset of your BIOS? (I'm not sure if this will work in Clevos, but I've done that in the past to restore old versions of BIOSes).

8. KSCH

KSCH Newbie

@Tarentum thx for ur answer.

Yes i have tried an external USB Keyboard (same prob.), and i open my clevo and leave the batery (for ~8h) to do CMOS Bios reset, without sucsess!

9. Tarentum

Tarentum Notebook Deity

10. KSCH

KSCH Newbie

@Tarentum, thx

I tired it to replace the bios of ur link with M40AE ver.1.00 and put it on an no-boot CD (without succese), then i tried to put it on a ms-dos-boot CD with autoexecutable program to start automatic the flash program (without succ.)!!!

:confused: :( :mad:

11. hung

hung Newbie

I have MS1722 bios ver 1.0H. I use quad core q9100 cpu, only post on screen,but not run vista 64. Can you show me how to update new biosVer make my computer running. thank-you.

12. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

i can make a autorun batch if people want it. not a problem.

ksch which system are you trying to update? and link to the bios for it. ?

im currently re writing the guide give me a a few more days to finish it. im going to contact chaz when its done and see if i should start a new thread or merge the two. i have lots of new info.

also if anyone wants a custom boot screen please lmk and as long as the bios is not locked with insyde i usually can add one. i lost my original rapidshare account and only could bring over the files i had still on my desktop. but i have all the editing tools and then some to do the job.

13. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

you should be using the crisis recovery method honestly at this point. but it requires a external usb floppy drive. if you have one ill be glad to try to help you.

14. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

let me look at the bios for that system. i have the same system here. ill be back moday and have some time to look at it then no promises but ill see if there is anything that can be done. if the chip is posting but not hitting windows it may not be a bios issue though

15. dazzyd

dazzyd Notebook Evangelist

Thanks for your guide on how to flash the bios zfactor. i had to do it differently as phlash16 and refresh didnt work.

I downloaded the latest bios files for my D901C (NP9262) from here

http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/esupport/MarketDLOut.asp?model=D900C/D901C&go=GO&type=BIOS

the bios update file and KBC update file contained batch files (bat) called update.bat

so pretty much all i did at the was c:/clevo update.bat then hit enter.

so if anyone wants to update their bios, update the KBC first. Restart then update the bios.:D

16. icehell

icehell Notebook Evangelist

@ Zfactor

Refresh didn't work for my Compal JHL90 ,phlash16 work,BUT....

i got the following message after update begin,

failure to read bios file <<<<BIOS.WPH>>>>

may be i should change the default name that i download new bios with (113.wph) or should update with Winphlash(but i see many warning to update bios from windows!!!!!)

NB.PRO-star refused to support.

Thanx Zfactor for your safe way to update bios without being crash even its not updated.

17. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

link me to the bios and ill tell you how to do it..

18. icehell

icehell Notebook Evangelist

19. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

downloading it now.

20. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

type 113 at the dos prompt and hit enter