how to flash your bios with dos using a usb stick:

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by zfactor, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nirvana

Nirvana Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    c:\clevo> prompt "refresh"
    btw you can use the .iso file from sager web site, much easier.

2. OregonCoastGamer

OregonCoastGamer Newbie

Reputations:
    I was told not to put quotations around refresh... can you link me to the .iso please.

3. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    yes just use the refresh command no quotes flashing from dos this way is MUCH safer than from windows.. last i saw only the keyboard firmware was on the website unless they updated it

at the c: type cd\clevo then hit enter

the next line should say c:\clevo> now type refresh

4. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    just checked there is no bios on the website

5. AlanP

AlanP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For those who want some simplicity... Get an PCExpress Drive Card, like the Lexar ExpressCard. Install the Card and add the SYS.com DOS file to your USB Thumbdrive. Make sure that the file command.com is also on the thumbdrive. Reboot to your Thumbdrive. Use Dir/w X: [where X is a drive letter] to check for the correct Drive [the Expresscard] to Update. -DOS will read a FAT drive, but not the NTFS Drives-.
    Type SYS X: [where X represents the Expresscard designation]. DOS will place the boot strap, io.sys and msdos.sys; and should add command.com also. But you can simply copy this yourself from the Thumbdrive to the expresscard thru DOS or by booting back to Windows and using explore. *But the System files need to be installed by DOS*...
    You now have a DOS booting PCEpresscard [a reason to have the slot] which 1) performs the flash operations by changing the boot priority in bios and 2) adds some additional hard drive space to your system, while filling that wasted slot.
    Be aware that for some strange reason BIOS may re-arrange the boot sequences as you add and remove bootable thumb drives with the PCExpresscard also present. Simply F2 and fix the boot sequence in bios and then save on exit.

Cheap Tip: If you leave the DOS PC Expresscard as higher priority in the boot sequence, newbies will boot to this rather than you Windows, probably frustrating them to quit playing with your Laptop:) When you boot simply press to disengage the PCExpresscard [you don't have to remove it or mess with BIOS]. Then press it in to restore the Drive as Windows is booting up. After all it's a plug-and-play device. It's a cheesy privacy security, but is it's also cheap security.

The advantage on the PCExpresscard over the USB Thumbdrive is the flush mounting. No more digging for your flash drive for experimental updating....

6. OregonCoastGamer

OregonCoastGamer Newbie

Reputations:
    For some reason the refresh and phlash16 commands come up as "bad command or file".

7. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    sounds like you didnt copy or move something right this has worked for TONS of people. or maybe your download is corrupt??

8. OregonCoastGamer

OregonCoastGamer Newbie

Reputations:
    I am going to try redownloading the files, although I did have all of them on the flash drive :confused: . Hopefully it works out this time, as I am anxious to try out the newest drivers. This is a very helpful guide by the way... things usually work out the first time for me, but this should be well worth it in the end.

9. OregonCoastGamer

OregonCoastGamer Newbie

Reputations:
    Well... I am stumped. I redownloaded both files and ran them, checked to make sure the files were on the stick, but still getting the same problem. Is there any possible reason this could be happening? I don't know what to do...

10. Nirvana

Nirvana Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ^^email sager, they should able to send you the .iso file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.