How to FIX AW17R4/15R3/13R3 CPU Core Temperature Differential Issue

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, May 18, 2017.

?

Does your AW13R3/15R3/17R4 suffer from CPU core temperature differential?

1. Yes, over 20C difference

2. Yes, over 10C difference

3. Tolerable, within 5C difference

4. No, within 1C difference

5. Yes, over 10C difference, received after March 2017

6. Tolerable within 5C difference, received after March 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. a_Criminai

a_Criminai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So what is the consensus? Which are the best heatsinks? Are the Sunon S-J-1s any good?

jpsm likes this.
  2. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    dont bother hunting down which heatsink. CCI or SUNON they are both the same. they are equally good and not good. It's the shape of the heatsink that matters and unfortunately it's all luck dependent. R4 is extremely sensitive to heatsink shape due to the weak nature of the tripod cpu arm and it's very difficult to get a perfect contact between the CPU and heatsink. even no two repaste produce the same result.

0lok and hmscott like this.
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Recently found out that thermal pads are way too important with this.

When i repasted i always also repadded on units of my friends. Thermal grizzly minus and gelid pads mostly. Those are quite soft especially the thermal grizzly ones. I didnt with my own unit because i wasnt planning to overclock. But the slight inbalance pumps out my paste. After checking the core temperatures i could only come to the conclusion that one of the ram pads ruins the perfect balance. When i remove that pad i have equal temperatures. I had 3 to 4c max stock, could lower it with a repaste but have paste pumpout. Can go to a perfect fit without pads. Now waiting for my batch of thermal grizzly minus pads to arrive at my apartment to do a full repad.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  4. forbyefor_gold_eagle

forbyefor_gold_eagle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm the new guy here and I only have the 13r3 but I fixed my own core differential with Conductonaut. I think a large part of the reason it works so well is that other pastes just don't conduct the heat well enough to let the AW cooling system do it's job: since conductance is inversely proportional to resistance and therefore in this sense, insulation, the paste ends up holding that heat for just a bit longer rather than quickly transferring it to the heatsink and pipes/ vapor which results in the observable temperature differential. Thermal pad issues aside, it (Conductonaut) just works. Here's a temperature graph running Firestrike before and after Conductonaut on the CPU/GPU for my 13r3. (Done with HWINFO64)

Before:
    https://imgur.com/GJz2EFE
    After:
    https://imgur.com/Q46Sd1b

That's probably why Umar has stated 'that there was no significant difference that AW observed regarding thermal pastes except with LM...' Not that it's any new info but worth noting.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018