How to FIX AW17R4/15R3/13R3 CPU Core Temperature Differential Issue

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, May 18, 2017.

?

Does your AW13R3/15R3/17R4 suffer from CPU core temperature differential?

1. Yes, over 20C difference

2. Yes, over 10C difference

3. Tolerable, within 5C difference

4. No, within 1C difference

5. Yes, over 10C difference, received after March 2017

6. Tolerable within 5C difference, received after March 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What revision of the heatsink do you have? 20c is quite extreme. Mine came from a late batch so out of the box i already had barely a core temp difference.

A new heatsink might worth a shot.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Be sure you have full warranty the whole time you have your notebook, because most laptops don't have thermal sensors for other than the cpu and gpu cores. Hardware components like vrm's without proper cooling will decrease it's lifespan a lot faster than you think. Maybe it won't die tomorrow but the expected lifespan will be short lived.

ADD and rinneh like this.
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This, dont risk it with experimenting by using thermal paste for the chokes and vrms.

ADD and Papusan like this.
  4. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The funny part is, I own a lot of gaming laptops that don't have any VRM heatsinks for the GPU or CPU. One notably being the W110ER which I argue is less power efficient and those things do get HOT but it hasn't failed in any way yet. I'm sure there is a giant argument to be had but less CPU temps due to the heatsink making better contact means more hot air out the back of the laptop and less "sticking around in the heatsink due to heatsoak" so less ambient temps inside the case where... oh right the heatsink soaks it in.

I used a very small amount so hopefully most of it doesn't squirt out the sides

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    FYI. Most part of 980m died due blown vrm’s. Not from overheating cores.

rinneh likes this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A lot of gaming laptops also fail quite quickly. More paste is better in this case. But I sitll do not reocmmend it. Just get a revised heatsink if you dont have it already. If it sitll gives issue, than contact Dell. You paid for a working product so you should receive one. The chance of getting a good unit is now much higher than a year back.

It sucks but it is what it is. Unfortunately this CPU gen a lot of manufacturers seem to struggle with it. It's hard to find the perfect cooled machine now. But this issue can be fixed with the right heatsink.

omy808 and c69k like this.
  7. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    I totally agree.

8. omy808

omy808 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which heatsink gets the best contact with the CPU die? I am looking to buy a new heatsink as I'm having problems with my CCI one. And will I have to repad it when I buy it?

9. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    I use for laptop for BOINC and it since it sits in my office connected to 5 screens i usually don't take it to go with me. It runs full bore 24/7. I'll let everyone knows if it fails with my new paste job. Temps are currently 76C on the CPU and 78C on the GPU. Stock clocks

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In genral the heatsinks all have the same design except different heatpipe thicknesses depending on the config of what it was made for.

They all come with pads pre installed if they are new and come from a legit sourcelBut a repad yourself first might be beneficial.