How to FIX AW17R4/15R3/13R3 CPU Core Temperature Differential Issue

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, May 18, 2017.

?

Does your AW13R3/15R3/17R4 suffer from CPU core temperature differential?

1. Yes, over 20C difference

2. Yes, over 10C difference

3. Tolerable, within 5C difference

4. No, within 1C difference

5. Yes, over 10C difference, received after March 2017

6. Tolerable within 5C difference, received after March 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I double on that, it baffles me how stuborn some human beings can be.

Quoting @rinneh:

"My hottest core is core 1. But only 3c higher than the others.for example core 0= 61c core 1=62c and core 2 & 3=60c."

Now he tries to presue me I cant count:

Core 1=62c

Core 2 & 3=60c

So 62c is 3c higher then 60c???

60c+1c=61c 61c+1c=62c

Now he was posting comments like I'm stupid for saying 62c is 2c higher then 60c not 3c.

Note: he said 3c higher, not within 3c difference...

When I said it is false, his ego was so hurt he tried to ridicule me, and reported me numerous times "for questioning his math "skills""...
    After that he said my English is terrible (translates to STFU!!!)...

Why an I spending time on such pointless argue?

Because there are some forum members so arrogant if you point to any false info they wrote they will try to " bully" you, and I just can't stand "bully" behaviour...

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Again if 60 is 1, 61 is 2, 62 is 3. 3 degrees variation spread over 4 cores. Can i make it more clear than that! Can you sleep now? I am counting the difference while including the baseline and you do not. That's all there is to it and you throw a hissy fit about that? :D

Talking about arrogance and bullying while constantly trolling and trying to discredit my proven results while pointing at reviews that are a year old.

This whole discussion is truly pathetic.

Tomorrow I just block you, giving you time to read my reply. spend already enough time that I just had at that time. Wont waste it more on you. Feel sorry for the mods that needs to clean this crap up.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are on the right path.
    If 0=1 you are right, and if 1=1 you are wrong, you couldn't make it more clear...now go to sleep, but please, just please dont count sheeps :no:

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Repasted twice this morning. One time with spreading the paste myself and after just a drop and let the heatsink pressure do it's job.

Very weird behaviour regarding the temps.

First of all in my case Dell used actual thermal paste and not a stamp for the CPU, Check the attached photo for details. As can be seen in previously posted Prime95 stress test photos I had a small core temperature difference with this paste. But From the photo it seems that there was uneven pressure since the top has more paste on the heatsink compared to the bottom.

After repasting with Phobya paste I noticed a larger temperature gap in Prime (7c) but only in prime. while playing heavy load games such as Assassins creed it was the same as before. But the overall temperature are lower when both the GPU and CPU are stressed. Now I just wonder why the core temp difference is larger. Even though the maximum temperature is still very good. Maybe Phobya paste needs more time to settle.

Also I recommend anyone not to remove the mid frame with a pry tool such as a creditcard or dedicated plastic pry tool. Lost 2 of the clips on the bottom, the official Alienware diassembly video is showing another method of just pulling towards you while grabbing the top.. Doesnt seem to do anything since there are 2 screen holes right next to them but it does itch my OCD. So ordered a new palmrest to replace that later.

Attached Files:

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They still use a stamp like rectangular pattern. Same method is followed by all vendors.

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I dont think the CPU side was a stamp, compared to the GPU side it feels like actual thermal paste but it also doesnt has those straight stamp like lines.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    From your pict.... It seems Dell have removed the pads in the Orange box on TRIPOD as seen below. Or is it on components ?[​IMG]

upload_2018-2-13_14-57-53.png
    Long time since they switched to paste on Cpu HS. The so called fix.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The other 2 pads are on the components.

But the paste was quite soft compared to the stamp which crumbles when you try to remove it. Have to try other screw patterns to remove the thermal gap I think for the heatsink even though it seems to make good contact.

But so annoyed about those 2 clips. Even though they dont seen to do anything, it just irritates me to know end knowing they are not there now. New palm rest is going to cost 40 euro's and have to fully dissemble it. So for the other users, DONT USE A PRY TO TO UNLOCK THOSE CLIPS! Just pull upwards. First time I ever saw those plastic tabs/clips break.

9. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, I figured I'd throw my two cents in, for what its worth. I picked up a 15 R3 a few weeks ago after my Aorus X5V7 went belly up. The choice was based on Dell's reputation and my personal experience in getting my wife's XPS 13 fixed after it had some issues. Here's what I can add to the discussion:

My unit does not have the HK processor. It is bone stock except for an additional PCIe SSD I added (because the 128 GB primary it came with is too small). I have considered a repaste but haven't yet because I have no problems with thermals. No big difference between cores; the last time I checked using CPUID and HWINFO it reflected a difference of < 5 degrees between cores, which in my experience is within tolerance for longevity and performance needs. I haven't hit it with OCCT, Furmark, or Prime95, but I do a fair bit of rendering using Maya and Blender that does hit the CPU fairly hard. Temps level off around 80C after sustained workloads of 30 to 45 minutes. Gaming sees similar results, depending on the title. Ghost Recon Wildlands hits the CPU harder than Rise of the Tomb Raider, for example.

I don't think I'm a statistical anomaly either. Here's my logic for why I believe that to be the case:

Dell is the 3rd largest segment owner for laptops worldwide. The market for laptop sales is around 150 million globally in 2017. Their market share is roughly 16%, which is around 24 million units total. Obviously, that isn't 24 million Alienware laptops but we can conservatively assume it to be a single digit percentage, say 5%. That would be 1.2 million Alienware laptops sold in 2017 worldwide. That may seem like a lot but considering market sizes in the west and east, I don't believe that number to be too far off. The poll on this thread had 83 respondents with 49 stating they had a less than an ideal unit, or roughly 59%. Now, if that percentage was representative of the 1.2 million sold in 2017 and well over half having annoying to serious issues with thermal management, I would imagine a class action lawsuit being in the news, which we don't see.

Here's what we can learn from the data; the number of complaints must be viewed in the context of the number of units in the wild. Forums like this typically exist for owners to find solutions to problems they might be experiencing with their product, not to rejoice over how awesome and flawless it is. Meaning, more often than not, the posts found on Reddit, here, and elsewhere are not representative of the number of units that are working fine. It is a sample that is nearly entirely comprised of individuals that are having problems (or in this case 59%).

It isn't that @alexnvidia is right or wrong, or that @rinneh is right or wrong. The sample, in this case, is loaded because of the audience and the reason why those people have found this thread. Most folks are looking for solutions to the same problem and congregate; they are not a fair sample of the total product owner base. I found this thread because I've been toying with the notion of possibly fixing something that isn't broken and wanted to see if it was something I would benefit from.

I don't think the 2016 Alienware model line is critically flawed. There is, however, some sort of manufacturing issue that results in an X number of units being assembled incorrectly. I say this because nearly every person on this thread has stated that the thermals are manageable after repaste, even with units with overclockable CPUs. That would indicate a less than ideal assembly process, not necessarily a flawed thermal solution. Rather than looking at who manufactured the heat sink, I would look at where Alienware laptops are assembled. Something in my gut tells me that these are likely put together at two or three different locations (maybe more) and one or more of those locations has shoddy management or overworked labor that aren't taking the time to do this part of the assembly correctly.

FWIW.

10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    So did anyone try out the aftermarket heatsink?

11. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    More paste at the top than the bottom = higher core temp on the core #1 and #3 and lower core temp on #2 and #4.....right??