How to FIX AW17R4/15R3/13R3 CPU Core Temperature Differential Issue

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, May 18, 2017.

?

Does your AW13R3/15R3/17R4 suffer from CPU core temperature differential?

1. Yes, over 20C difference

2. Yes, over 10C difference

3. Tolerable, within 5C difference

4. No, within 1C difference

5. Yes, over 10C difference, received after March 2017

6. Tolerable within 5C difference, received after March 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As you see, the cores are closely uniform, with the exception of core 1. I went really thin with the lm tim. Maybe too much so. On a lighter note, new mobo with 1070 Samsung memory!

2. Jayce 71

Reputations:

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Too thin of a coating. Use more, tin the heatsink with it too, use nail polish transparent to insulate the SMD resistors around the CPU (must be cellulouse based) and PLEASE use a FOAM DAM BARRIER around the CPU (you can attach it with nail polish also, the foam dam must be VERY compressible). The foam barrier is required to make 100% sure that LM will not escape anywhere and blow up the motherboard. And please use a pressure paper test with basic TIM to test mounting and evenness of heat sink before wasting LM on this..

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Take a look at your thermal pads to see if there is more uneven pressure on one side of thermal pads?
    You can follow what @Falkentyne said about making FOAM barriers to prevent LM leaking onto the board.

5. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For the R3, with a 7820HK and kyronaut. if that's with an OC then that's actually not too bad and about right if it's premium (BF1, Witcher 3, Destiny 2 or PUBG etc) gaming temps

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Normally it's core 0 and core 2 which has the much higher temps, classic tripod design heatsink issue. In your case its is the lower bottom left of the chip. This is actually quite unusual. I suspect it's a lack of paste and not enough is spread over that core (take some pics for us when you open it). It's either that or your pads are too high under the CPU on the left. Check these also.

Core0 is top left, core 1 is bottom left, core 2 is top right, core 3 is bottom right

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. Jayce 71

Reputations:
    Yes, Fallkentyne, this is very possible, as I use just enough to tin both surfaces to avoid runoff (around a 1/2 bb or so). Glad to know that the clear nail polish isn't just an urban legend... Never tried it except on speaker repairs. The barrier is an excellent suggestion, and I had been thinking about something similar, already. I have a few different ideas that should keep the lm isolated to the cpu die. Thanks for the help, and great suggestions, guys. I think she'll be a real beast with a bit more fine tuning.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Pete Light likes this.
  8. Zerpy

Zerpy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sadly the core discrepancy issue continues into 2018.

This is a replacement model after 5 repair attempts on a 6820HK 17R3.

Idle temps are fine but even with 0 GPU load and -0.080v underclock I can't run Prime blend without hitting throttling at 4.1ghz.

upload_2018-1-29_1-25-46.png

I have everything I need to try to fix it myself but I've seen a lot of posts mention they didn't make any progress with Kryonaut. I have Conductonaut as well but will only use it once I can get those core differences down.

Does the bending the arm trick work? Is there any new updates on fixing this other than repad + pray? :)

Rei Fukai, hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i would buy k5-pro, and repad with k-5 do a repaste and see how your temperature's are. ordered k5 brought back my temps within 5 degrees of eachother when benchmarking and 3 when gaming. Temps where bouncing off 100 C. after the repad i repasted my laptop with conductonaut, and now my max is 70C when gaming and 65/66 when benchmarking (gpu max is 65C without a undervolt)

Pete Light likes this.
  10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe this will help. I had also temps over 90 c and core differences of 10+. Please read my post # 6745 http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-alienware-13-r3-owners-lounge.797884/page-675

Vasudev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.