How to FIX AW17R4/15R3/13R3 CPU Core Temperature Differential Issue

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, May 18, 2017.

?

Does your AW13R3/15R3/17R4 suffer from CPU core temperature differential?

1. Yes, over 20C difference

2. Yes, over 10C difference

3. Tolerable, within 5C difference

4. No, within 1C difference

5. Yes, over 10C difference, received after March 2017

6. Tolerable within 5C difference, received after March 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You need to repad part by part on that VRM (just above the CPU, I'm unsure what's its called), it should look like a step more or less.
    Its good to see there is LCD display with accurate measurement on a vernier calipers.

J888www likes this.
  2. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My 17 R4 is from April 2017 (7820HK, GTX1080)

Original heatsink was a CCI, can't remember which one
    Overheated, couldn't fix it with repad and repaste, still freezing

In June I got a replacement motherboard and heatsink, this time a Sunon S-J-2, feels a bit heavier than the CCI but I didn't check.
    Stock pads and some kryo didn't freeze at all, even on OC vBIOS
    Core dif was about 10C. Repaded with arctic pads and new kryo. Temps aren't great, reaching 85C while gaming for 1+ hours. But everything works fine. Core dif was at 4-8C

Switched to Conductonaut LM, bent the CPU arm a bit, checked every pad again (BTW, with the S-J-2 many of the pads don't match iunlocks photos in his guide. On the CPU chokes there's a 0.1mm pad that needs like a 1 or 1.5mm to start making contact).

No more core dif issues! All cores are only 0-2C in difference

Temps were pretty good now but I still figured I'd help it out a bit more. Summer is pretty hot where I live so I undervolted the CPU ~90mv and installed the old vBIOS (did some gaming tests and didn't notice any difference, didn't benchmark though).

Now the system runs great! CPU doesn't reach 80C, many games dont even make it sweat at ~75C like CS GO, Overwatch....
    GPU is usually like 10C bellow the CPUs temperature. And I've seen my PCH reach ~83C, still without issues. (I don't have a heatsink on it).

Maybe next I'll follow OwnOrDisown's video about undervolting the GTX 1080 to get even better temps and performance.

It took a while. Too f*cking long! Never have I had this much work just to make a laptop work properly.
    But when it's tuned the 17 R4 is awesome. I wouldn't trade it for anything else right now.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Pete Light, Vasudev and J888www like this.
  3. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    let us know the result of your investigation

Vasudev likes this.
  4. J888www

J888www Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sanded and polished the two washers to 0.2mm thickness last night, doesn't need to be polished that's just my OCD playing up.
    The outer diameter of the washers are 6mm and the inner bolt hole is for M2.5 bolts. Hope it fits as I'd not taken any measurements when I last repasted.

Unfortunately I'll be very busy for a while and need to use the laptop, as the temperatures are okay I won't be taking it apart just yet.
    Hopefully, I'll sort out my core differential issue when next I repaste.

Credit where credit is due to leeloyd, I'm only trying to prove him correct by lifting up the fixed points #2 and #3. Not wishing to bend these arms in case it creates further issues elsewhere.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/media/alienware-15r3-17ra-bad-heatsink-design.1690/

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. timn420

timn420 Newbie

Reputations:
    New 15r3 owner here, maybe temporarily... but anyway, I noticed on my 15r3 that there is a larger gap between the heatsink and MB at number 4/6 (bottom of the GPU). I tried taking out thermal pads and putting them in to bring it level, but the gap is still there and I would think it might have some effect on the CPU heatsink displacement. It also tells me the whole thing is basically warped. If you get a chance try and place your motherboard on the corner of a table so that the fans do not support the board. You can lay your heatsink down on top of where the screws go in and it can give you and idea on the condition of your heatsink.

Both of my repaste tries, using kryonaut, yielded about the same CPU results (83-86c), using different techniques (line/spread) and -.125 undervolt. I just can't think of anything else to do, except get a refund.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’ll try this later tonight. My main concern is having at least 10°C after the initial repaste/repad using Kryonaut and Fujipoly.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. J888www

J888www Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bad news, 0.2mm had lifted the #2 & #3 far too high that the TIM had no contact at all. Less than 10 seconds and throttled.
    It takes too long to sand down these washers as it's steel so I sanded the copper plate down a little more then repasted. Maybe in three Months time, I'll retry with 0.1mm thickness.
    The result of sanding the copper plate was quite good, brought down the temperature by a few more degrees but differentials are still niggling...

Does anyone know what was addressed by the recent BIOS updates ?
    It seems to run less with less noise, maybe they lowered the fan speeds ?

Attached Files:

• OCCT.jpg
      OCCT.jpg
      File size:
      247.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    hmscott, Vasudev and gunbolt like this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Disable Built in Monitor of OCCT, use Throttle Stop or HWINFO 64. OCCT HWMonitor seems a bit off since last releases. Your temps look good.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just repasted the new 6820/1070 with LM. Temps looks great, except for core 1, which is showing 25c higher temps than the other cores. The 1070 doesn't heat up at all. Does anyone have a diagram showing the motherboard orientation and cpu, and which core is 0-3, so I can adjust the pressure to the cooling solution... (shim or bend tripod, etc)? Thanks in advance.

gunbolt and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Post HWINFO64 sensors screenshot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.