How to Enable Intel VT and AHCI on a Napa/Santa Rosa platform Phoenix BIOS Vaio laptop

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by bogart, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Look at the provided list. If the BIOS version is there, then yes you can. If the BIOS version is not listed, I have no idea if you can or not. I rely on other folks to report their findings and I maintain the list accordingly.

Gary

2. StevenL

StevenL Newbie

Reputations:
    To: vasya99

Yes, it is possible to enable Intel VT-x for your current CPU. Give me a dump of your BIOS and I can find the register to enable VT-x. I can also find other options such as AHCI if you want.

3. StevenL

StevenL Newbie

Reputations:
    Ignore my previous post, I found a BIOS update version of your BIOS online, the register to enable VT-x should be 030C for the R0030J4 BIOS. If you want to enable AHCI as well, the register should be 00FC .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  4. StevenL

StevenL Newbie

Reputations:
    Gary, can you update the master list with the following data:

The register to enable VT-x in the R0070J4 BIOS is 0318

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  5. campbuds

campbuds Newbie

Reputations:
    Is that the only line to edit? and what do i edit it to? I changed the value in that line from [0000] to [0001] and nothing happened

I then added to that the edit of line 015C and made the value "1" and still nothing.

What am I missing?

I have a VGN-CR220E and Phoenix bios R1121Q0 which is listed as working.

It should cause this setting to be editable in the bios right?

6. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    First, you need to follow the instructions in the first message EXACTLY as stated for this to work. Did you do that? Did you take a second snapshot of the BIOS and verify that the change actually occurred? Experimenting by adding a second change is NOT a good idea, you can easily brick your machine by changing the wrong location.

Second, once the change is completed correctly, it will NOT make the setting editable in the BIOS. It will just turn on VT. You can use the GRC website as discussed in the first message to verify if VT is on or not. But you won't find anything in the BIOS UI to indicate it.

This is a VERY old thread and I only answer the occasional question such as yours. I don't even use a SONY laptop anymore. Sorry I can't be more help.

Gary

7. campbuds

campbuds Newbie

Reputations:
    My Vaio is still running strong as it ever has after 6yrs. I just keep that heat sink clean. And I run Ubuntu.

Ok, so I cannot see it in the bios.

I did re download the text file to verify the change took place. I did follow the directions except that last verification you mentioned (GRC website). I didn't because I was under the impression it would show in the bios.

8. campbuds

campbuds Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you Gary, I had success and didn't even know it.

9. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    Great! Thanks for following up.

Gary

10. StevenL

StevenL Newbie

Reputations:
    NOTE TO ALL PEOPLE WHO'S REGISTER IS _NOT_ ON THE MASTER LIST:
    (but want to know which register to edit to enable them)

If you have a "new-style" (most of them should be this, my notebook was made in 2006 and it has a new-style BIOS, just upload and I can tell you) phoenix BIOS in your VAIO machine and you upload/link to your BIOS (you can obtain an image using the Universal BIOS backup dumper in most cases),
    I can figure out which registers will enable/disable VT as well as AHCI for your notebook and tell you. You will also need to upload your Default.txt (or whatever you named the file) - this is the NVRAM Token Table dump from symcmos.

The way I do this is by using Default.txt and STRINGS0.ROM/TEMPLAT0.ROM from the extracted BIOS and tracing the tokens to their respective settings.

If you have an old-style BIOS or another that I am currently unable to check, I will tell you. Usually, the size of the BIOS's that I can check are 1MB to 4MB, although that is just a statistic, not a definite yes/no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.