How to Enable Intel VT and AHCI on a Napa/Santa Rosa platform Phoenix BIOS Vaio laptop

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by bogart, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleChris

LittleChris Newbie

Reputations:
    Other than the minor irritation of finding alternative locations for the bootable USB key software, everything went well the first time.

I like the comfort of knowing that regardless of what values you try, ultimately you can recover by disconnecting the CMOS battery to forget the NVRAM settings.

Model: Sony VGN-FZ150E
    BIOS: Phoenix R0040J7 (no BIOS downloads to be found anywhere on Sony sites, either original or updates - Shame, Sony, shame!)
    CPU Intel T7300 2Ghz
    VT-x: (02D3) - same as model 130E, 140E and 160E with same BIOS level that are already documented. I thought there may have been a consistent pattern!
    I didn't bother with the other AHCI setting - don't need it at the present.

As an aside for others that may be wondering, I tried booting from Vista 'command prompt' mode and tried to run symcmos from there. No luck! You do have to make DOS bootable media and run the utilities from there. Make sure you spell everything exactly as documented.

Gibson Research 64bit discovery tool securable.exe confirms that all is well.

Ultimate test: VmWare now runs in VT mode!

Please update your master chart for the FZ-150E.

Next VT-x project: Medion E7212 sitting in the corner looking lonely. Any hints or pointers would be welcome.

Try going back and repeat step 3 in the first post - this should fix this problem.

Given the ability to create a totally dead doorstop out of your beloved laptop that could cost a lot of time or money to remedy, I would have thought that following precise instructions to the letter, including spaces, capitalisation, and ticking off each step would have been a certainty. If you're not sure what you're doing, ask somebody that does.</enter>

2. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    List updated!

Thanks,
    Gary

3. pgn5

pgn5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, friends!
    Sorry for my english, i'm from Russia.

I have a US model Sony Vaio VGN-TXN25n
    Bios version R0051N3
    VT register - 0357

And many thanks for this guide!

4. pete1369

pete1369 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a SVE14AE13L. I have an i7-3632qm that supports intel vt-x but I do not know how to enable it. I do not know what bios I have. I rebooted my laptop but I do not get a screen that tells me what button to hit to enter the bios or even boot prompts.

Can someone help me?

5. skeletrone

skeletrone Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I tried it on Sony Vaio VGN-NR21Z/S with Phoenix bios version R1150J9 and it worked with vt-x register 02D0 ;)

Thanks.
    Bye,

Andrea

6. superxgear

superxgear Newbie

Reputations:
    Laptop Sony VGN-SZ340P BIOS was updated to R0112N0 (original version of BIOS was R0096N0).

After enabling VT and AHCI new SSD drive was installed. 4GB total memory was installed also.

Please add Sony VGN-SZ 340P model to the list.

7. StevenL

StevenL Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I want to enable VT on my Sony Vaio VGN-N250E/b Notebook. My BIOS version is R0070J4 (Date: December 6, 2006). I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. [Specs: 160 GB Solid State Drive (Intel Sata2 X25-M), 2 GB RAM, CPU: {upgraded} Intel T2700 2.33GHz, Motherboard Model: MBX-160]. Please note I have upgraded a lot of my laptop's hardware, these are not the normal specs of a VGN-N250E/b. My notebook's previous CPU (Intel T2250) did not support VT. The new CPU does support VT however. Please tell me if you need a bios dump.

View attachment DEFAULT.TXT

8. StevenL

StevenL Newbie

Reputations:
    Never mind, I found the NVRAM register myself. The register to enable Intel VT-x on BIOS version R0070J4 is 0318. I also found an interesting screen upon messing with the registers. I changed the 04CE - 04F2 registers and got a screen called PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility, at the bottom of the screen it says "Press any key to continue", after a few seconds it automatically proceeds to boot Windows whether or not you press any key to continue. I am attaching a picture of this screen. Please tell me if you know anything about it. I am going to keep on testing this BIOS to see of there is anything else in the NVRAM that could be of interest (such as enabling the BIOS options in Sony VAIO BIOS's so we can easily change a lot more things without much difficulty). Edit:
    The Register to enable AHCI mode on BIOS version R0070J4 is 00FC.
    The Service/Repair Mode Register is 039F.
    The Enable USB HDD Boot Register is 04D4.

View attachment 92900

Attached Files:

9. StevenL

StevenL Newbie

Reputations:
    Lovelord, sorry for the [very] late response. I just found out today what the register for enabling Intel VT-x on the R0070J4 is. Register 0318 will enable/disable VT-x. You MUST press and hold the power button to turn off the computer before this can be applied. Don't using any keyboard shortcuts or reboot. Please note that I have upgraded my VGN-N250E/b notebook to the most powerful type of CPU that it will allow (I think), the T2700 (2.33GHz dual-core). This CPU does support VT, the CPU that you are using (which is also my laptop's old CPU) does NOT support VT-x.

10. vasya99

vasya99 Newbie

Reputations:
    I upgraded my Sony VGN-N11SR with Intel T7200 CPU. BIOS revision is R0030J4. Is it possible to enable VT in BIOS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.