How to Enable Intel VT and AHCI on a Napa/Santa Rosa platform Phoenix BIOS Vaio laptop

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by bogart, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrightSource

BrightSource Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to add to the list. VGN-AR870 (VGNAR870) with R2090J8 BIOS works with a change to register 0285 from zero(0) to 1.

2. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Added to the list!

Gary

3. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    Added to the list! (Please go back to your reply in this thread and delete the list from our post. Otherwise it will show up in searches and it won't contain any updates I add to the master list.)

Gary

4. AnnoyedARuser

AnnoyedARuser Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

first of all thanx for taking so much time for testing all those registers for the community.

I followed the steps using my goodol' sony usb floppy drive on my VGN-AR31M (which I bought in Germany 3 years ago) running the R0200J6 bios version.

The change in the 0195 reg from 0000 to 0001 is obviously being made as its actually shown in another Dump I made two reboots later.

A check with the HAVDetection Tool released by Steve Ballmers slaves and Securable claim that VT is still disabled. So there seems no change to the VT settings.

But instead I experienced a somewhat strange error after editing the beforesaid reg.

When i booted up windows it claimed that my MSDNAA copy of windows 7 RTM was illegal. But when I hit the "Use Original Software Now" button it said "Activation succesfull" In the System settings its said to be an original version of windows as well. (Yes i know theres been an update that changed the detection for pirated versions but i rebooted a lot of times after having the update applied so i think its a direct consequence of the changes being made to the bios).

Unfortunately either the bios is in some way different on my AR31M than on AR21S and AR31S, though they have the very same bios number or something went wrong either. Any ideas how to get VT running though?

5. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    First I am pretty sure that BIOS change had nothing at all to do with the activation issue you had.

As to your VT problem. I can't really say what might be wrong. Is your BIOS version R0200J6? Note that the two folks who got it to work on AR models indicated the BIOS was R200J6. (I thought that number looked odd when it was reported and I added it to the list.) You might drop the two of them a note and see if that was actually the BIOS version. (You can find them via the "Search this thread" option above.) Please let me know what they say, so I can update the master list if necessary.

The only thing I can suggest is for you to create another dump and make absolutely sure the regirster has been changed.

Gary

6. AnnoyedARuser

AnnoyedARuser Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

thanx a lot for your fast reply.

I'm gonna write them and I will do a new dump. [Update: (0195) [0001] <--- thats what the most recent dump says (after having the machine rebooted 6 times since changing the value and yes its bios version R0200J6]

Might the bootable disc environment have something to do with that?
    I used a Windows 7 DOS formatted 3,5" floppy for doin it.

Just some thoughts if youre still interested:

I had a look at those driver packs for the ar 21s years ago and they were basically all the same as the ones for the 31M even those reffering chipset and onboard sound etc so you could use em when you wanted to install windows xp on an are 31m machine.

So i think at least in the 31 series they should use the same bios version and mainboard (at least for those basic parts as chipset etc.).

My speculation is actually supported by taking a look at the specs of the series. Same Clocks, Chipset etc.

And the thing about the activation issue:

I dont care as long as that goodol machine is working so I am not worried at all.

I think it could have something to do with the reset to default operation. I just thought: Wasnt there something like a "feature" in previous windows versions that determined whether there has been a hardware upgrade and that required the user to reactivate the machine afterwards. Might the issue could be related to that one. Or its really an error in the MS-Update.

7. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    There was such a "feature" (still is there too), but it didn't go down to the level of a BIOS registry change.

Gary

8. AnnoyedARuser

AnnoyedARuser Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

i just got it to work.

I think you should update that procedure given in the very first post. Remove the part on editing the textfile using a windows based editor and add advises on Reboot / Shutdown procedures!

So I'm describing what i did before and what I did after so maybe some of the other guys can figure out what might went wrong on their update if they experience similar mistakes:

BEFORE (FAILED)

1. Entered BIOS. Set BIOS to default. Rebooted.
    2. Created MS-DOS Floppy with windows formatting tool.
    3. Rebooted and dumped settings using symcmos.
    4. Rebooted again. Edited the File using "Notepad++" under Windows and saved a copy as "updated.txt"
    5. Rebooted again. Applied settings using symcmos.
    6. Rebooted. Made a dump to see if settings were set.
    7. Dumped File reported sector 0195 set to 0001.
    8. FAIL: No VT enabled..

AFTER (Succesfull):
    1. Set back the BIOS to factory defaults using built in option in the BIOS. Exit and Save. Booted into Windows and Shut Down.
    2. Booted into Windows and took the very first dump of my bios settings.
    3. Edited the section with pedit in the commandline tool under windows. saved it. Rebooted.
    4. wrote settings with symcmos.
    5. NO REBOOT AFTER SUCCESFULLY WRITING THE VALUES TO THE BIOS. INSTEAD: Use the Power Button to completely shut down.
    6. Booted into Windows: tadaaaa........ everything all right now.

Hoped I could help someone and:
    @ gary i hope your not angry 'bout wasting time with someone that probably missunderstood the procedure.

Finally I can Say:

Model VGN-AR31M
    BIOS: R0200J6
    Reg: 0195

Working!

Thanks again.

Greets
    T.

9. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    Glad it worked. But your AFTER version step 2 said you booted into Windows. Did you mean DOS? The only real difference I see in the BEFORE and AFTER list was the Power off instead of Reboot at step 5.

No anger at all. I am glad it worked and I will add your info to the master list.

Gary

10. AnnoyedARuser

AnnoyedARuser Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

yes I booted back into windows because I didnt want to take a backup of my default settings messing around with some old dos commands I'm not familiar with anymore.

The other reason was that I wanted to try pedit first with some unimportant files and wasn't sure whether it had mouse support under DOS (but it definitely had while using it in the command line tool, which made it a lot more convenient). So I just edited a copy of the DefaultSettings-TXT-File using pedit in the Windows command line utility and put it back on the floppy. Thats the reason why I booted back into Windows.

And yes, I think one of the more or even the most important change was to shut down the machine after updating the BIOS settings instead of rebooting it.
    I read that somewhere in a thread that you reffered to in one of your earlier posts and about that you said you would have collected informations from. Someone claimed that it was very important to shut down and not to reboot. (Dunno if it was in the Neowin or the VM-Ware Board).

And by the way wouldn't it make all this a bit more well aranged and easy to administrate if you would put the Instructions and the List into a seperate Sticky Thread and leave this one as the discussion thread? Just an idea.

So finally thanks for giving me the honor to appear in "THE LIST" ; )

Have a nice day and thanx a lot for your support!

Greets

T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.