How to Easily Optimize a Notebook Computer and Make it Faster Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by bootleg2go, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uclajd

uclajd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice guide Jack.

A couple of things.

First, I've read that keeping the page file constant in size (setting the min and max to the same size) helps performance. Not sure if this works, but it makes sense intuitively, as the machine doesn't have to adjust an already slow process on the fly.

Second, in addition to defragging, I keep the page file defragged with a utility called (strangely enough) Page Defrag. Even after a standard Windows defrag, the page file can remain fragmented.

I have heard that "Show windows contents when dragging" is one of the biggest video resource hogs.

Also, browsing is sped up considerably if you don't load obnoxious banner ads. Mozilla's ad block extension helps with this, as does installing a hosts file (note that the latter will cause problems with referral site redirects, such as dealnews.com and techbargains.com).

Of course, I use a full compliment of anti-spyware stuff, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, MS's program, Ewido, and Spyware Blaster. Also, Zonealarm and AVG free edition.

2. luee

luee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes I agree with post 46, CCleaner a great little program that does a lot, quickly. The XP updates just keep coming!

3. asdf

asdf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    better than regclean? used that thing, found lots of errors, fixed. did it perform faster, who knows. did it screw things up, who knows. all i know is it found errors, said fixed so do i believe it?

4. Leusis

Leusis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there anyway to get rid of those annoying programs that like to hide? Like those stupid AOL Free Trial programs that don't appear in the add/remove program lists. All I can do is remove the icon from the desktop.

5. ProphetX

ProphetX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i just got an external hdd and my notebook wont detect it, neither will my desktop.

So i took it back and got a new one different brand.

Im thinkin i disabled one of the services, i follwed this guide word for word. Can anyone help me out. My os on my notebook is media center edition and my desktop is xp pro

6. chinna_n

chinna_n Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Nice detailed information, but there is one small correction I would like to add for this line
    On new V2000z series with ATI200M, you need to let AtiHotkeyPoller Service keep running as it is also enabling/disabling ATI PowerPlay. Without AtiHotKeyPoller service PowerPlay is stuck at Max Performance irrespective of settings even on battery. I do not know why the hell ATI linked these two.

7. atomic1

atomic1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When i try to run "tunxp" it says its not a valid win32 application.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Great post by-the-way.

$1.00 on the way.

Adam

8. atomic1

atomic1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This guide is so helpful, I sent $2.00!!!!

Adam

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Same here atomic with the win32 error - happens on some of my machines, not others, who knows . .

10. utente

utente Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1. When I try to clean up msconfig and UNcheck the programs that I don't want, every time I reboot they are CHECKED again.

2. I can't delete NORTON, and I can't uninstall it. Of course, I can't use any other anti-virus program, because Norton always starts up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.