How to Easily Optimize a Notebook Computer and Make it Faster Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by bootleg2go, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidepocket

sidepocket Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by ennoia

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. Fer

Fer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    GREAT article.

I used to know and apply most of the similar tweaks and tricks in Win95 and Win 98 but, you know, time passes for everyone at the same time than "available" time stretches, so I think I can say that I have become "outdated"... [:(]

So consider yourself as my new upgrade!!!

Thank you!

3. budgreen

budgreen Newbie

Reputations:
    I did the msconfig thing before I read this but I followed these tips on a brand new laptop (minus system retore wich I think is efficent/valuble for what it does). Anyway things seem faster so great thread!

P.S. I un-check everything in msconfig. If the comp needs some thing to allow it to boot it will turn it back on. From there I run Zone Alarm and one other small program. My biggest advice is that anti-virus programs like Norton and sytem works crush the speed of any computer...I think worse than system retore IMO. So if you don't open attachments and you are carefull that is a big speed boost. My decision with Norton was based on I had never had a crash or virus for my computer life. Then after installing System works/virus Norton seemed to save me from a crash or virus twice a day. Hmmmm sounds like a bit of over protection and maybe it takes a program that runs like a virus to beat a virus? I can live with out it.

4. buddy1065

buddy1065 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Centrino laptop CPU speeds can be set to full speed by using Speedswitch. Otherwise your laptop will be running at half speed or lower and you may not realize it. One way to check CPU speed is to right click on My Computer, but that's not always reliable. Just thought that was worth mentioning on this thread if it wasn't mentioned already.

17" Powerbook 1.5 Ghz, Vaio T250 1.2 Ghz

5. jlyttle

jlyttle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome post. My new ZX5295 had a boot time of 1:28, after these tweaks it is down to 60 seconds! This is a big difference. Now to defrag!

6. fsacj

fsacj Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Anybody know why my hard drive won't spin down? I recall something about windows poking around the hard drive and making itself think there is activity.

7. fsacj

fsacj Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by buddy1065

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  8. DimOK

DimOK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For all your startup optimizers - here is a great program!

www.anvir.com/index.htm

9. pjohnst

pjohnst Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't like this technical stuff - I'm no good at it. My new-to-me Dell Latitude CP takes nearly 5 minutes to boot, so I need to do something! When I try "msconfig" at Run, nothing happens except the message "Cannot find the file 'msconfig' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available." As I said, I'm not good at technical stuff. What do I do? Appreciation and thanks. Peter

10. Plagueth

Plagueth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    wow thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.