How to disassemble Toshiba Laptops.

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by cj2600, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James924

James924 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. But I actually need to know how to pop off the keyboard so I can access the two RAM slots underneath.

2. sjones1837

sjones1837 Newbie

Reputations:
    I need to know how to replace the keyboard on a Toshiba Satellite P775-S7215. It looks like you have to take the entire back off....can't find information anywhere. I have the new keyboard, just am afraid of taking the laptop "more apart" than I need to. HELP!! :)

3. frankvii

frankvii Newbie

Reputations:
    I have completely taken apart (and put together) a Toshiba Satellite P505D following a video on Youtube. Here is a link for the P775: TOSHIBA P775 take apart video, disassemble, how to open disassembly - YouTube

The video shows a complete take apart. I realize you just want to remove the keyboard so I might be of some additional help. Look at the video I provided and skip to the part where the keyboard is taken off. You'll notice that the keyboard is basically just pried off (after all the screws from the bottom had been removed). However, you might not need to take all those screws out. On the bottom of my Toshiba there is a screw that has a keyboard icon next to it. That is the screw that holds it down (plus, unlike yours, I have screws on the top). You might have a similar icon/screw.

I'd suggest, first try gently prying off the keyboard as in the video. If it appears screwed in, look for the icon screw on the bottom. If that doesn't exist, follow the video and take out all the screws (carefully note where they came from) and then take out the keyboard. If you follow the video, it should be really easy.

One other tip on the screws. Many are of the same size and, on mine, the bottom actually has the screw sizes stamped on the plastic. Just make sure you group the same sizes together and label where they go (like keep them in separate envelopes and write on the envelope their locations).

4. frankvii

frankvii Newbie

Reputations:
    In reference to the Qosmio X870. I don't own this laptop but I'm familiar with it (a friend has one). The best references I found were at the Toshiba website, Nexicore and YouTube. The links are: Qosmio X870 memory upgrades - TOSHIBA FORUMS, http://tech.nexicore.com/downloads/P870-P875_X870-X875_T572-T772.PDF and Toshiba Satellite A660 A665 Laptop Keyboard Installation Replacement Guide Replace Install R850 - YouTube.

The Toshiba website gives two different ways, both of which have "proof". One guy says to just use a credit card, pop the catches around the keyboard and take it out. The proof of this is found in the Nexicore link that goes to the X870 Maintenance Manual. The two other guys say they removed it by taking 3 screws out of the bottom and then removing the keyboard. Their proof is a picture of the removal (link on the Toshiba site) and the YouTube video.

I'd say to first look to see if there are three screws that match the video. If so take them out. Then go and try to take the keyboard out per the video. If it won't come out, revert to the credit card method.

Good luck.

5. enthused

enthused Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does any expert out there have disassembly instructions for the Satellite P70?

6. chefboyrd

chefboyrd Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks,

Great thread. Has anyone tried taking a Satellite E55D apart? I just bought one and I want to upgrade the memory to 16GB. There's no removable battery, and no ports on the bottom for accessing components. Based on info from irisvista, I figured out how to remove the keyboard (remove the 2 middle screws on the bottom, then pry the keyboard up carefully). No luck - there's no accessible components via that path.

The only remaining option is to unscrew all the remaining bottom screws and remove the entire bottom. Does anyone have advice on how to pry it off without breaking any of the tabs holding it in place?

FYI - there are no hidden screws - only plastic rivets under the rubber feet and the 2 large stickers.

Cheers.

7. chefboyrd

chefboyrd Newbie

Reputations:
    Update - After removing all the bottom screws (12 total), I used my fingernails to press under the front edge of the bottom piece, and popped it up. I have managed to pry up the bottom 3/4 of the way, but I'm running into resistance near the back by the USB ports. I can see the HDD and the SODIMMs - I just can't access them yet. :confused:

I'll send pics when I get the chance.

Cheers.

8. chefboyrd

chefboyrd Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks. Finished disassembling E55D laptop. Resistance was futile - it just took a little more pressure to pop the remaining plastic tabs. See attached pics - I hope you find them useful:

IMG_0710.jpg
    Note orientation: Hinges are at the bottom of the picture. Use a guitar pick or your fingernails to pry up the cover, starting at the top of the picture.

9. chefboyrd

chefboyrd Newbie

Reputations:
    Next Pic: overall layout of interior components
    IMG_0706.jpg

10. chefboyrd

chefboyrd Newbie

Reputations:
    Closeup of SODIMM slots. FYI - one of the 2 SODIMMs on my laptop was not properly latched down during factory assembly (!)
    IMG_0707.jpg

Closeup of hard drive
    IMG_0708.jpg

Closeup of battery.
    IMG_0709.jpg

Cheers!