how to decrease laptop led backlight screen to its minimum?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Yurkooo, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yurkooo

Yurkooo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, I’m not sure I’m posting this in proper thread, but I didn’t found any better thread for my topic.
    does anybody knows is there any possibility to switch off half of LED screen backlights?
    I work a lot on my laptop. I like to work in the dark: I have a back-lit keyboard. But the screen brightness kills me!
    so I wonder: if my laptop uses LED backlight of the screen, is it possible to switch off half of LED bulbs for example? This probably could be like some BIOS instruction, of something like that.
    Because working in a dark doesn’t need that bright light to hit my eyes.
    EVEN reduced to the lowest screen backlight it still harms my eyes.

2. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    If you're using XP or Vista, I'm fairly certain there's nothing you can do to the screen brightness outside of the 16 steps Dell provides in BIOS. During my short flirt with Win 7 on the E6400, I found that Win 7's power manager can actually take the screen brightness below the lowest setting found in BIOS, though it's a little buggy. You might want to try looking into that.

On the other hand, the lowest brightness offered by default is pretty dim; are you sure you're actually at the lowest brightness?

3. Simpler=Better

Simpler=Better Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On a dell you usually hold the 'Fn' key and then tap the up or down arrows.

Look for a blue symbol like this [​IMG] on two of the keys. Holding 'Fn' and tapping the brightness keys will adjust the backlight.

4. Yurkooo

Yurkooo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I do have the lowest setting (using Dell controlpoint display manager or Windows power settings going from control panel or from center of support for mobile pc (not sure if I translated right, because I use Ukr version)). Also Fn+Down arrow feature used as well.
    So in Vindows Vista center of support for mobile pc it says the screeen brightnes is at 0. but the screen is still hit with the light my eyes.
    I realy work in a DARK room without any lights at all.

5. Yurkooo

Yurkooo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Fn+Down arrow feature used as well. that's actualy was a first of all try.

6. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    You can try to get the screen dimmer.
    You can throw a resistor in after the power circuit for the screen, or you can wire it direct with an external rheostat. Both would be serious work, and it would void your warranty.

A simple solution may to get a tinted sheet of plexiglas or something to put in front of the screen to make it dimmer.

K-TRON

7. Zeph_Ng

Zeph_Ng Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. FrankTabletuser

FrankTabletuser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    stop working in the dark and turn on an indirect light source. This is not only better for your eyes, but also looks cool and solves your problem.

9. Simpler=Better

Simpler=Better Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    K-Tron you're right on the money. There are aftermarket non-permanent anti-glare/tinting films specifically for laptops. 3M corporation makes some excellent products in that area.

10. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    That is what I vote

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.