How to copy OEM (ASUS) Windows 7 onto a bootable USB Drive?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by proview3r, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deeastman

deeastman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1. Download the trial version of Ultra-ISO from here: http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/download.htm and install it.
    2. Put your Gateway disk in the Optical Disk Drive.
    3. Install your USB flash drive (with enough capacity to hold the data on your disk i.e. 4GB) into a USB port.
    4. Perform a Quick format on the USB drive from My Computer.
    5. Open Ultra-ISO > File > ‘Open CD/DVD’ (your Gateway Disk)
    6. Select the ‘Bootable’ tab > ‘Write Disk Image’.
    7. Select your USB drive where it says ‘Disk Drive:’
    8. Write Method ‘USB-HDD+’
    9. Click on ‘Write’ Click on ‘Close’ when finished.
    10. Exit Ultra-ISO
    11. The Bootable USB has been created, you are finished.

Make sure your boot sequence in bios is set to boot from the USB device first.

You can get the W7 ISO from the link below. Go to the bottom of the first post and read the section entitled 'ISO Method'.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/mic...-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html

2. dSly

dSly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow! Thanks for the detailed instructions deeastman. I actually got started earlier tonight and got an invalid ISO file from the Microsoft tool. I created the ISO file with ImgBurn though. Maybe that was the problem...

3. deeastman

deeastman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The ISO file is probably valid, ImgBurn is a good program. I use it also but not to make USB installs. The issue is with the Microsoft Tool, it is expecting a valid Windows 7 (Retail or OEM) OS install disk and I find is quite picky. I don't believe that your Gateway disk is either but I can't be sure without seeing the data on it.

4. dSly

dSly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    deeastman, I followed your detailed instructions and was able to install W7 from a USB key. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. If tech support was always this good, there would be a lot more happy people out there.

P.S. While rebooting numerous times for the W7 updates, I ended up with disk errors. I think the HDD has failed...

5. raeef

raeef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. deeastman

deeastman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. I just gave a universal approach using Ultra-ISO not knowing what OS would be on the machine he would use. I have used the method from the link you posted and even wrote similar directions in a post months ago here.

The one thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned in that link is Diskpart will not work to make a bootable USB from Windows XP. It simply will not find the USB flash drive, you can only perform those instructions on a system with Vista or Win7.

7. jason1214

jason1214 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: