.How to clean install from Windows 7 Upgrade media

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by mtarm1, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtarm1

mtarm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One of the biggest unanswered questions about Windows 7 is whether you can perform a clean install using the upgrade edition of the operating system.

With legacy versions of Windows you needed to ‘show’ it an install CD from your older version of Windows. The problem here is that Microsoft allowed OEM PC makers to customise these discs, sometimes to the point where they were not recognisable as upgrade media by the installer, even though you had a legitimate copy.

With Windows Vista they changed this but you had to perform a workaround to get a clean install. Firstly you had to install Vista upgrade without entering a product key, and then you had to install it again performing an upgrade on the version you had already installed. This was time-consuming and many people didn’t like it… understandably.

With Windows 7 Microsoft have only released the upgrade versions for the first time today and have been keeping very tight-lipped on this subject. The good, nay, excellent news is that performing a clean install using upgrade media is now the same as performing a clean install.

Windows 7 will just install merrily on your hard disk with it’s upgrade product code and activate. You don’t need an XP or Vista disc, and you don’t need to install it over itself. This is excellent news and, while I haven’t yet tried this myself, reports are coming in from across the web that this is indeed the case.

Many people will now ask if it’s necessary to buy the full version of Windows 7. Quite simply now the answer is that it isn’t. This means an significant price cut for Windows 7 over previous versions, effective immediately.

http://windows7news.com/2009/10/22/how-to-clean-install-from-windows-7-upgrade-media/

hope this helps everyone.

also go to the site and read some of the comments especially the first couple.

2. red123

red123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried doing a custom install and format my Laptop, but when I got to the activate Window screen and typed in my key, it was not valid. When I tried to activate it manually under Computer's properties, it said that my key is only valid for upgrade. I then reinstalled a fresh copy of Vista and upgraded to Windows 7 and it works. I am hoping that someone actually found a way to do an actual clean install using the update media.

Forgot to mention that I did a custom install by booting up through the DVD instead of booting up Vista first (and running the setup there). The reason why it might not work for me was because I did not do it correctly. Can someone clear up my confusion?

3. spam123

spam123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Reformatted HDD, repartitioned and performed a clean install of the upgrade Professional version on the night of Oct 21.

After everything was installed, and at the screen that it says running for the 1st time, it kept saying that the product key was invalid.
    Like ~!@#$^ ==> this was purchased online through BestBuy.CA;
    have raised a ticket with MS and they say give it about 24 to 48 hours.

btw - wasn't there a leaked Ultimate OEM Volume version from Lenovo...
    anyways... Stupid Oct 22 didn't turn out well for me...

4. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Your Worst Nightmare

Reputations:
    Wow dude that sucks. I got my copy of home premium from bestbuy.ca and did what you did and everything went smooth. Hope you get this resolved

5. red123

red123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you try to manually activate the key? When you try to manually activate the key, there will be a message that explains why your key isn't working. The same thing happened to me and when I tried to activate the key manually, it said that I cannot use my key for a clean install. Clean installing meaning that you booted up the Upgrade Media and do a clean install instead of running the setup on Vista. This was what you did so the upgrade media's key will not work. Try reinstalling Vista and boot up the CD from there.

6. spam123

spam123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well - there isn't an option as what you've described;
    1. didn't want to reinstall Vista to upgrade from, because I've always upgraded from a clean slate

2. the screen that I got stuck on has only a check mark that reads "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online - even if unchecked, it didn't make any difference

3. the product key was right from the inner label of the box - which was sealed.

well - it's odd that it never asked me for the Windows disk that I was upgrading from. If the clean install wasn't allowed (in order for it to recognize that it was upgrading from a valid base), then they should have just disabled the installation steps from the CD boot.

darn MS -> mIm...

7. Brendanmurphy

Reputations:
    Thats weird it asked you for the windows vista disk? My install went threw like a normal windows install entered the product key in the box got to my desktop opened up my computer hit right cick properties and clicked activate windows and it was done. Didnt even need my vista key witch is weird

8. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    OK I have one question. If I completely wipe off the hard drive first of my Windows XP or Vista OS, will W7 boot and install itself without asking for XP or Vista verification? :confused:

Sounds kind of odd MS would sell a FULL and UPGRADE version(s) that install without asking for proof of prior Windows ownership.

9. Brendanmurphy

Reputations:
    Yes it will do a full install and will not once ask you for verification that you had Windows Vista or XP installed. I thought it was suppose to ask for your product key and disc for your previous operation systeme but it looks like there relying on trust like apple did with snow leopard. But it all works out for us the consumer we get the full version for the upgrade price.

10. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    :cool: Very cool indeed on MS's part. I guess there is no need for the FULL version after all. I'll be picking up the Pro edition at Office Depot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.