How to change the silver top cover to the Rose Gold one? Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by jack53, Sep 11, 2021.

1. jack53

jack53 Dell XPS 9360 i7 Lover!

Reputations:
    How to change the silver top cover to the Rose Gold one on my Dell XPS 13 9360 ?
    Has anyone done it?
    I can't find a video anywhere online on how to do that. They have a whole bunch of videos online on swapping out the display with cover intact but no matter how I google it, can't find just taking off the cover once you have the display taken out???
    These are some of the keywords I used....
    Dell XPS 13 9360 top cover / display hinge cover / LCD Back Cover Top case Screen Screen lid / Rear Lids for Dell XPS / LCDs Back Cover Rear Lid / LED back cover lid. I added Removal to each of those.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  2. jack53

Reputations:
    Never mind, I found it on the long running ifixit website! I've used them before in the past, but couldn't find them until I googled "Disassembly of top cover from display screen on Dell XPS 13 9360". It's not a video, but well laid out with photo's and instructions which I prefer anyways as I hate pausing the videos all the time.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Dell+XPS+13+Teardown/36157

It looks too hard to take the cover off as it is glued to the screen.

• We're getting pretty good at prying up glass, so we've got some idea of where to start.

• Step 1: Load up on heat. Use plenty of iOpeners. (Or one iOpener plenty of times).

• Step 2: Pry gently in many places. Opening Picks are the ideal tool.

• Step 3: ???

• Step 4: The edges you just heated are nowhere near the adhesive you wanted to loosen. The adhesive is entirely under the LCD panel.

• Step 4b: Apply plenty of heat to the back and pry slowly.

• Whew! Okay, not heck-tons of adhesive, but it packs a punch. You'd better peel slowly and use plenty of heat. That's some thin glass.
    So, I'm thinking of using a custom made skin which I've done before. Here is what it will look like: (I'm going to leave the bottom black)
    Dell_XPS_13-Skin.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is a cool skin. I think a skin is the best option.

jack53 likes this.
  4. jack53

Reputations:
    Yes, because most all laptops are either silver, silver & black or just black = DULL
    Like with the past 9 years of XPS 13, their all silver with the exception of Rose Gold and you can't tell if one is an 8 year old one or a new one without looking closely.
    I was liking the Rose Gold, but that is out at this point, so I'll go with a skin. I make a living of sorts with photography, so that would be good advertising as I took that photo.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just saw this thread, I was going to suggest the same thing. Skin it. I also am making a living with photography/videography/creative work now. A few other odds and ends to help as well but most income comes from creative work. I like the silver/grey colors of the dell machines now.

jack53 likes this.
  6. jack53

Reputations:
    I do too, the Dell ultra laptops look great, BUT, most all laptops are silver/grey now and I like something different, like the five Corvettes I've owned over the years.
    I considered painting this one as I've painted several laptops over the years... click on my signature link to see those below.

kojack likes this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I like different stuff too. 2000 acura integra with endyn pistons, cams, head and ported supercharger. 400 whp. 11 sec 1/4 on pump gas. Also, this was in 2001!

8. jack53

Reputations:
    You probably would have liked my Corvette #4 I had for 12 years... I won over 25 trophies/awards with that one.
    https://moskovita-photography.com/1977.htm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    kojack likes this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    LOVE IT!

10. jack53

Reputations:
    pressing and kojack like this.