1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How to burn HP Recovery Disc without using Recovery Manager?

Discussion in 'HP & Compaq' started by vcanhk, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vcanhk

vcanhk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just got a HP tx1020 tablet PC.
    Because I didn't want all those useless software and trials on it, so I immediate use the Vista disc that came with it to reinstall the whole system.
    I was totally forgotten to burn the recovery disc before I do that. But now I want to burn the decovery disc and the recovery manager is not even there, because it's now a brand new Vista without all the HP stuff.
    I was able the get all the drivers from the HP site, but I wasn't able to get back the Recovery Manager and HP Total Care Advisor.
    I still have the 7GB Recovery Partition in my HDD, inside is a folder called Recovery and a bunch of hidden files, but I don't know what I can do with them.
    So, is there any way that I can burn the recovery disc without the manager, or where can I download the Recovery Manager and the Total Care Advisor?
    I don't want to spend $35 to order the recovery disc from HP.

I'm still new to HP computers,
    thanks a lot for helping!

2. Instrument Mechanic

Instrument Mechanic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you have time, You could run the recovery from start up, let reload the OS the way it came from HP, then make your recovery discs. Afterwards reload Vista the way you have done already. The recovery disc from HP is the same thing you get when you make them yourself. I dont think you will need either of the programs you listed, because what will they do for you? Total Card advisor, I think reminds you to sign up for it, so you get the warranty extension or Accidental damage Protection. And the recovery Manager is there to recover from death, tell you how to recover (F something at start up, I forgot), and make the disk. Honestly, unless you lose the whole HDD, the recovery partition will do all you need. I may be wrong, but I have had a few HP Laptops, and I have used the recovery discs on myown and others, heck I even reverted a DV9000t to XP MCE from vista using HP XP recovery disc for the same model!

The choice is yours.....

Mike

3. vcanhk

vcanhk Newbie

Reputations:
    First, thank you for your advice.
    I did try pressing F11(that's what they say) at start up to go to the recovery screen, and that didn't work, maybe because I'm now using a non-HP Vista and it can't recognize it. But still, I want to burn the recovery disc. Please help!

4. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would say to try using F11 a few more times. As soon as the computer starts up, hold down the key and don't let go (until you are in the recovery system). You may have just missed the timing.

5. booyoo

booyoo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The clean vista install may have written over your original MBR (Master Boot Record). This short code on HP machines is an actual boot manager that checks for the F11 key press and boots the pc using the 2nd partition - ie. the recovery one. I'm not aware of any tool to rewrite the HP MBR code again but it may be available somewhere..
    The MBR also contains the partition table itself and information whether a partition is set active and/or bootable so it is installation+hard-drive specific.

6. cluelessME

cluelessME Newbie

Reputations:
    you can restore the MBR, the procedure is given below and then use the
    key to restore your system completely. After that you can burn your recovery discs.

This procedure will perform a destructive restore ( delete all data on the hard drive). So make sure you backup your data before starting out.

The recovery partition is visible as
    after a clean install. It may be another drive letter on your system so make sure you change it to D: . Explore this recovery partition, the files may be hidden so you may need to go to
    , select
    , and uncheck
    and uncheck
    . Then you must be able to view a folder named
    and inside this folder

Make sure you have two files inside the D:\miniNT\System32 folder, the first one
    and the second one
    now go to
    type
    and hit enter.

restart your system, your system will boot into recovery mode & resotre your system completely, after which you can create your recovery disks.

hope this helps

regards

7. vaneet36

vaneet36 Newbie

Reputations:
    man i've the same problem and i tried what u suggested but couldn't locate miniNT folder
    Any other ideas?

8. anushian

anushian Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same issue and the above method did not work (couldnt find MiniNT?). I used the following method and it worked perfectly:

You need to set your HP Recovery Partition (on mine it was the D drive) to the active partition. That way, upon boot up it will auto go into the restore without the need for hitting F11.

After its done the restore everything will be back to normal with the Vista OS being set back to active and auto booting the way it was out of the box. From here you can make the recovery disks as you normally would, avoiding future hastle.

I set the active partion in XP as thats what I formatted and installed before. Instructions for doing it in Vista (or any other OS) should be easily findable with a google search...

Either way - set the active partition to the recovery partition and your good to go! Hope this helps!

9. NO1B4ME

NO1B4ME Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Man thanks I was going nuts trying to restore my friends HP laptop and this seems like it is working now.

10. aerialcam

aerialcam Newbie

Reputations:
  11. prime-mass

prime-mass Newbie

Reputations:
    I would never have thought of that ... :err: ... THANK YOU!!! :smile:

Saved me a lot of hassle :eek2: Keep it up :notworthy:

12. sherazalvi

sherazalvi Newbie

Reputations:
    All those have contributed a big THANK YOU
    I was struggling with this problem all night in my case I tried to install Windows Vista Ultimate on a totally new Hard Disk and when finished had huge problems with drivers for my Compaq Presario SR2000 (SR2119UK) as I could not find any drivers for the LAN card though it was picked up but was not connecting no matter what.

Then I decided to revert back to the original. Being efficeint and over confident I had already re-partitioned and formated all my hard drives new and old but luckily I had taken a partition backup using the all time useful Seagate Disk Wizard (avaialable free from Seagate website under downloads)

Now here is what I found out in addition to the useful information discussed already in this forum.
    1. The size of the partitions has to be exactly the same for you to do a system recover.
    2. F11 worked for me surprisingly when I just kept my finger on F11 continuesly just one or two snap lifts made me access the D drive.
    3. But before that I had to partition the D Drive exactly the same size as was the original and make it Primary + Active in my case the size was 5.0971 GB
    4. That was not it the size of the main C drive was different in my case and even though I was able to access the System Recovery thanks to you guys I could not do it due to the difference in size of the partition.
    5. So I again re-partitioned the hard drive not to mention using the bootable Seagate Disk Manager disk which you can create once you install the software. (very useful tool to do system recovery after wards if you take a back with this software takes just 3 minutes to restore with all software installed)
    6. Ok so when all the partition sizes were almost exact then I did a restore back up partition on the Seagate Disc Manager dumping the image of my D drive containing the HP/Compaq recovery data.
    7. Then booted assuming that as my D drive is active and primary it will be picked up if I boot from this Hard Disk but no the system only looked in the C drive for bootable files and gave error NLTDR missing.
    8. Next the F11 story - I restarted and pressed and pressed the F11 desprate thinking it my last hope of this damn system problem. and.... wallllaaaa mmuuhaaa got in to the recovery console.
    9. After that all was normal did the restore and while it was restoring thought to right this loooooongggg reply hoping it might someone else like me in future too.

All the best guys thank you you made my day :)

Cheers
    Sheraz from London

13. sherazalvi

sherazalvi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hehehehe just noticed the LAN card is still not working hehehehe and all this effort was to just make that work otherwise things were quite smooth.

Ah well atleast I learned something to help friends and family :)

Cheers
    Sheraz

14. daniel3ub

daniel3ub Newbie

Reputations:
    using this method (booting from the recovery partition by making it active) will I have my HDD formatted?
    Or can I use this method just to create the recovery discs?

Thanks!

15. radopod

radopod Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Probably just the recovery manager. Try it out. It is your best short at the recovery discs! A small format here or there is good for learning! Trust me, I professionalize in this. :)

16. nemesis2k8

nemesis2k8 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey thank you so much man I was too busy thinking how to get the recovery manager that this completely sliped my mind :D I tried it and for those who want to know works great and if you dont want to lose data it asks you to back up It asks for a usb dont know how that works but I just formated everything.... GOod luck :):D :D

This is how to set the partation active
    start
    control Panel
    Administrator Tools
    computer management (first one mostlikley)
    click ok Storage then Double click disk management it will display all the partations
    Right clikc on the recovery harddrive and mark as active
    Restart computer it should boot into recovery mode

17. gnutech

gnutech Newbie

Reputations:
    If you're interested in installing Windows XP, but want to still be able to press F11 to someday enter your original HP Windows Vista recovery partition:

1. Obtain a Linux Live CD
    2. Backup the Windows Vista Master Boot Record
    # dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/disk/WinVista.mbr bs=512 count=1
    3. Install Windows XP (Making sure you don't change partition sizes and don't delete the HP Recovery Parition)
    4. Restore the original Windows Vista Master Boot Record to the now Windows XP installed hard drive.
    # dd if=/media/disk/WinVista.mbr of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    5. Reboot and Enjoy

gnutech