How to Block Cryptocurrency Miners in Your Web Browser

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Tinderbox (UK), Nov 28, 2017.

1. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/334018/how-to-block-cryptocurrency-miners-in-your-web-browser/

Option: Install the “No Coin” Browser Extension

John.

hmscott and Dr. AMK like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've started using ScriptSafe v1.0.9.3 instead of NoScript, and ScriptSafe is supposed to catch and block the coin miner's already, but for fun I loaded MinerBlock 1.1.4 to see if it catches anything :)

And, I still use ublock Origin and Privacy Badger. Training ScriptSafe is easier(?) than NoScript, at least I like the ScriptSafe interface better.

There are two new extensions I haven't had a chance to play with much, uBlock Origin Extra - just loaded it - only applies to certain sites, and uMatrix a next generation NoScript/ScriptSafe, which I haven't tried yet.

How to stop sites from ‘borrowing’ your CPU to mine cryptocurrency
    https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/09/19/cpu-cryptocurrency-miner-blocker/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Dr. AMK and cfe like this.
  3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    scriptsafe only seems to include these coin mining domains in their filters:

coinhive.com
    coin-hive.com
    coinhive.com
    coin-hive.com
    *.coinhive.com
    *.coin-hive.com
    jsecoin.com
    *.jsecoin.com
    server.jsecoin.com
    *.server.jsecoin.com
    load.jsecoin.com
    *.load.jsecoin.com

There may be more included, but these are the ones I got a warning from the app when I tried to add them to the user blacklist:

Some Domains Not Imported
    The following domains were not imported as they are invalid (the others were successfully imported):
    • coinhive.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • coin-hive.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • coinhive.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • coin-hive.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • *.coinhive.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • *.coin-hive.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • jsecoin.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • *.jsecoin.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • server.jsecoin.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • *.server.jsecoin.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • load.jsecoin.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    • *.load.jsecoin.com (provider of unwanted content (see "Block Unwanted Content" and/or "Antisocial Mode")
    I was able to add these coin mining domains without conflict to the user blacklist:

static.reasedoper.pw
    mataharirama.xyz
    listat.biz
    lmodr.biz
    minecrunch.co
    minemytraffic.com
    crypto-loot.com
    *.crypto-loot.com
    *.2giga.link
    ppoi.org
    *.ppoi.org
    coinerra.com
    coin-have.com
    kisshentai.net
    miner.pr0gramm.com
    kiwifarms.net
    anime.reactor.cc
    joyreactor.cc
    kissdoujin.com
    ppoi.org
    minero.pw
    coinnebula.com
    *.coinnebula.com
    *.afminer.com
    *.coinblind.com
    webmine.cz
    monerominer.rocks
    cdn.cloudcoins.co
    coinlab.biz
    papoto.com
    cookiescript.info
    *.cookiescript.info
    cookiescriptcdn.pro
    rocks.io
    *.rocks.io
    ad-miner.com
    *.ad-miner.com
    party-nngvitbizn.now.sh
    cryptoloot.pro
    *.host.d-ns.ga
    *.host.d-ns.ga
    *.host.d-ns.ga
    baiduccdn1.com
    jsccnn.com
    jscdndel.com
    mine.nahnoji.cz
    *.goredirect.party
    miner.pr0gramm.com
    miner.cryptobara.com
    digger.cryptobara.com
    kickass.cd
    *.morningdigit.com

And... another 3600 domains to block from coin-hive block:
    https://github.com/Marfjeh/coinhive-block/blob/master/domains

If anyone has any additional domains to be blocked to avoid getting hit by browser mining please post them. :)

Dr. AMK likes this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dr. AMK and hmscott like this.
  6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Say no to extensions bro...

Here is my Ad Block Plus filters list...

[​IMG]

Where to add them from?

1) https://adblockplus.org/en/features#malware (to disable Tracking and Malware Domains)

2) https://facebook.adblockplus.me/en/ (to disable Facebook Ads and nuisances)

3) https://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions (go there then use CTRL + F and type coin to find the No Coin Filter)

Be Smart....be like Phoenix... :eek: [​IMG]

Dr. AMK, Raiderman and hmscott like this.
  7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    I think it's better to use ublock instead... Just my 2cents

Dr. AMK and hmscott like this.
  8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Tried it, what I don't like about it is this:

1) a bit confusing to choose the filters vs the above links that I posted. I have to sit and choose from a long list of filters although you can save the settings so it's not that big of a deal

2) what IS a big of a deal to me is, I have added the Facebook Annoyances Filters posted above in the custom filters but they would never work on uBlock and I cannot stand the Facebook Suggested page, friends, ads, bla bla bla on the right hand side of the screen so that was the show stopper for me.

Dr. AMK and Raiderman like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    The SafeScript app has "Privacy" blocking as well as lists, and enabling "Anti Social Mode" gets rid of all the "fluff" like Facebook, Twitter, etc etc etc etc.

Antisocial Mode: (Default: disabled; always remove social widgets/buttons, even if whitelisted)
    For more comprehensive blocking, check out Privacy Badger, Disconnect, Blur, and/or uBlock Origin with all of the subscription lists on the Fanboy site)

And, that brings up how to block social stuff using uBlock Origin - use the Fanboy site lists.

Script Safe has a few settings pages, but in essence I enabled all the blocking available, and start by "Allow"ing new sites + Allow servers in that domain (1 at a time as they appear) + Clipboard + img / vid / functional as required for the site to work, and I am blocking a lot more stuff than before.

I also have Adblocker for Youtube (Chrome), catches stuff on YT best, and also blocked FB (until SafeScript took over FB / social widget blocking):
    Adblocker for Youtube.JPG

Adblock Plus is great, used it for a looong time, but uBlock and then uBlock Origin (original author) seems more efficient + it's easier to manage (barely, but better with log), ScriptSafe is way better to manage than NoScript and I am catching / blocking a lot more stuff with minimal tuning.

This site has the Fanboy lists Complete, broken up individual lists + Fanboy's Social Blocking List:
    https://filterlists.com/

Dr. AMK likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    The list of sites I posted to blacklist uses NoCoin blacklist.txt as a source - I added them to the SafeScript user blacklist; it already had some of the NoCoin domains blocked but not all of them.

Dr. AMK likes this.