How to automatically under-volt in XTU without opening it

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ThatOldGuy, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Smoker97

Smoker97 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks u! The probblem was solved.

2. floorman

floorman Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for this post. Unfortunately the method in this post only applies to boot from a full shutdown, but not resuming from sleep. It also did not address the situation of cold boot on battery and resume from sleep on battery.

I did more reading about making XTU settings stick after resuming from sleep. The Powershell (.ps1) script is the same. All you need to do is to create two more tasks in task scheduler to run the script - reference:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/63orso/solution_for_undervolting_settings_not_sticking/

1. Follow steps (1) to (6) in the original post here to create .ps1 and .vbs files

2. Follow step (7) to set up task scheduler to run .vbs script on boot from full shutdown.

NOTE:
    (A) Towards the end of "create basic task" wizard, check "open the properties dialog for this task when I click Finish", then click "Finish" button ....

[​IMG]

(B) Under "General" tab, check "run with highest privilege" and click "OK" ....

[​IMG]

NOTE: I did not find any difference whether to choose "run only when user is logged on (or not)", and whether the task is configured for "Windows 10" or "Windows Vista / server 2008"

(C) Under "Conditions" tab, uncheck "start the task only if the computer is on AC power" and click "OK"
    - this *should* allow task to run no AC on battery power only (but see later)

[​IMG]

After all changes made and all "OK" buttons pressed, you shall be prompted to enter password to verify these changes.

(D) Now create two new tasks:

1) In task scheduler, click "create task"

2) Under "Trigger" tab, click "New"

3) "Begin the task" - choose "On an event"

4) Choose "Basic"
    "Log" - choose "System" from dropdown menu
    "Source" - choose "Kernel-power" from dropdown menu
    "Event ID" - 107

[​IMG]

5) Go back to complete steps (B) (you have to make up a name for this task) and (C)

6) After all changes made and all "OK" buttons pressed, you shall be prompted to enter your password to verify the new task

7) Go back to step (1) above to create the second new task .....
    -> step (4)

Choose "Basic"
    "Log" = "system"
    "Source" = "Kernel-power"
    "Event ID" = 507

8) Complete all the other steps up to (6)

NOTE:
    Event ID 107 = wake from sleep
    Event ID 507 = wake from connected standby

-------------------------------------------------------------

I did extensive testing of these tasks. My XTU undervolt numbers are -0.06V for CPU / cache and GPU (Core M 7Y30). I use CPUID HWMonitor to confirm voltage settings. I also tested the .ps1 and .vbs scripts to make sure they work properly by running them in command prompt and powershell respectively.

To test the scheduled tasks, I use XTU to remove undervolting and revert to default (-0.00V), shutdown or put the laptop to sleep (I do not use hibernate), then reboot / wake from sleep to let the undervolt script run.

The interesting findings are:

1) Everything work perfectly when the laptop is plugged in AC

2) The tasks do not work when the laptop is unplugged on battery power only (both boot from shutdown and wake from sleep don't work).

However, I found that if I set the undervolt numbers by XTU, then perform the shutdown / reboot or sleep / wake while the laptop is unplugged on battery power only, the undervolt settings would always stick. I have been testing this everyday for three months and no faults so far. Relying on XTU alone without the scripts and scheduled tasks, the undervolt settings did not stick in 30% of instances, mostly wake up from sleep.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    eli2k and hmscott like this.
  3. eli2k

eli2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm still playing around with this, but on my laptop I always type password to login after waking up from sleep. There is Security-Auditing 4624, which means a successful login, that I think we can use as an additional check to run the script.

4. Induna

Induna Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you ThatOldGuy. I just set this up on my HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake refresh on the Fall Creator's update, and it is working perfectly. I'm undervolting for thermals. It helps. I configured two triggers in the Task manager-- on Initiate Session and Unlock Workstation, and the task runs after waking from sleep and returning from hibernation. I would get unpredictable results running the XTU directly. Sometimes it would change the System Agent Offset and GT Agent offset values without me asking it to. This script avoids that problem as well. Perhaps this is a bug with XTU and the new CPUs. In any case, this solution ideal.

One of the best things about Windows is PowerShell.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Djadit

Djadit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Worked.
    I need vbs script to auto overlock And changed iccmax
    please help me

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  6. kylezo

kylezo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Why is this necessary? Just add a shortcut in "shell:startup" or as mentioned here configure the service only to run on startup. This seems waaaay needlessly overcomplicated. Am i missing something?

7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @tetraguy posted something for Overclocking HK cpus with scripts. I don't write anything I cannot test myself (I do not have overclock-able cpu right now)

if you purely want VBS script, the full code list for settings are on page 5 in this thread, and just overclocking settings on the first page of @tetraguy's guide (right after step 12).

• -t -id 48 -v 45 means Power Limit 1 = 45W
    • -t -id 47 -v 60 means Power Limit 2 = 60W
    • -t -id 29 -v 39 means 1 Active Core = 3.9Ghz
    • -t -id 30 -v 38 means 2 Active Cores = 3.8Ghz
    • -t -id 31 -v 36 means 3 Active Cores = 3.6Ghz
    • -t -id 32 -v 35 means 4 Active Cores = 3.5Ghz
    • -t -id 76 -v 36 means Cache Frequencie = 3.6Ghz
    • -t -id 79 -v 0 means Offset Voltage = 0

To have multiple operations in the script:

$status = get-service -name "XTU3SERVICE" | Select-Object {$_.status} | format-wide
    if ($status -ne "Running") { start-service -name "XTU3SERVICE"}
    & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XTUCli.exe' -t -id XX -v XX
    & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XTUCli.exe' -t -id XX -v XX
    ............. etc
    sleep 4
    stop-process -id $PID -force

Yup, Also something to do when you feel like tinkering around. Don't know why you would need this with a bios that has advanced options...

8. kylezo

kylezo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wait, Yup I am missing something, or Yup it's that simple? Haha I don't understand your reply.

/e: I'm referring to this method:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  9. LUCKASS

LUCKASS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    Do you know how I can apply other settings in XTU ? I need to disable this option :

[​IMG]

Thanks !

10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In a script? Why?

these are the turbo boost codes:

48 Turbo Boost Power Max 45W
    47 Turbo Boost Short Power Max 56W
    49 Turbo Boost Short Power Max Enable 1
    66 Turbo Boost Power Time Window 28Seconds

This Works to disable Turbo Boost Short:

$status = get-service -name "XTU3SERVICE" | Select-Object {$_.status} | format-wide
    if ($status -ne "Running") { start-service -name "XTU3SERVICE"}
    & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XTUCli.exe' -t -id 49 -v 0
    sleep 4
    stop-process -id $PID -force

LUCKASS and hmscott like this.