How to automatically under-volt in XTU without opening it

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ThatOldGuy, Mar 3, 2017.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1) Either works

if you are on Fall Creator's update, PowerShell is no longer reliable some say here.

2) Use HWiNFO64 for hardware monitoring. Both Ring and Core are offset by intel XTU.

2. gnarkill283

gnarkill283 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. gnarkill283

gnarkill283 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you please idiot proof the explanation of the steps? I don't know what I'm doing. How do you "run" the first notepad file in powershell. What do you do after you run Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned?
    The execution policy helps protect you from scripts that you do not trust. Changing the execution policy might expose
    you to the security risks described in the about_Execution_Policies help topic at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170. Do you want to change the execution policy?
    [Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All - Suspend Help (default is "N"):

Huh?!!! What do I do here? You never say. I make the next notepad file and use task scheduler. I don't see Run with highest privileges anywhere. I still make the task. Then I relog. Nothing happens.

4. luanbk

luanbk Newbie

Reputations:
    - The .ps1 file is a powershell file, you run it just by right-clicking on it and open it by window powershell (in Windows 10)., the same as when you run a normal text file by opening it in notepad.
    - After executing the command Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned, you should choose [A] Yes to All.
    - Run with highest privileges option appears in the property dialog of your created task. Look for your created task in the Task Scheduler Library, right-click on it > Properties, the option should be in the General tab. Here you can also edit the your created task's settings.
    P/s: Just follow step by step carefully!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  5. Smoker97

Smoker97 Newbie

Reputations:
    I got some mini update from window and now task schedule is not working with both of your ways. Do you have any idea now?

6. liviu2007

liviu2007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i dont know why you guys use powershell and make everything so hard.i just used throttlestop 850 and created a task to start every time and is working every time on my alienware 15 r3. undervolting -150mv stable.

7. Smoker97

Smoker97 Newbie

Reputations:
    https://imgur.com/a/QqEzN
    It's seem like XTU does not work [​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/a/QqEzN
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  8. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:

Attached Files:

9. Smoker97

Smoker97 Newbie

Reputations:
    I saw the problem. It always resets the voltage if i shut down then starting laptop while restarting does not reset the voltage. Do you have any idea for this?

10. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Not really. It never came up, but what laptop are you running?

I would just try Throttlestop. I can't really diagnose the problem without replicating it. The undervolt script just works every time even after Fall creators update on my Laptop