How to automatically under-volt in XTU without opening it

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ThatOldGuy, Mar 3, 2017.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Background: XTU is unpredictable when undervolting. It is supposed to stay after undervolt profile is made, but this doesn't really work all the time. About 50% of the time I find I have to re undervolt my profile because it was lost or "quit unexpectedly". I got annoyed that I would have to launch XTU (or HWinfo64) every boot/log in to make sure it is working as intended

After much trial and error I have been able to undervolt in XTU without having to launch XTU every boot

Note: this allows Powershell to change/set core voltage without needing to start XTU at all

WARNING: only do this with a core offset that is RELATIVELY stable (or add a delay to task scheduler)

really easy to determine relative stability (i.e. it doesn't crash your computer right away, so you can change it or stop the scheduled task if you need to)

Just: Undervolt in XTU and run OOCT for 5 minutes
    Or better yet, just use an undervolt that you have tested and used extensively

DIRECTIONS:

1) Copy this code to a notepad:

$status = get-service -name "XTU3SERVICE" | Select-Object {$_.status} | format-wide
    if ($status -ne "Running") { start-service -name "XTU3SERVICE"}
    & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XTUCli.exe' -t -id 34 -v -YOUR VOLTAGE OFFSET HERE
    sleep 4
    stop-process -id $PID -force

*Your XTU file path may be different*

EXAMPLE -0.150 offset (for clarity because you don't use decimal place in code)

$status = get-service -name "XTU3SERVICE" | Select-Object {$_.status} | format-wide
    if ($status -ne "Running") { start-service -name "XTU3SERVICE"}
    & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XTUCli.exe' -t -id 34 -v -150
    sleep 4
    stop-process -id $PID -force

2) Save file as "filename.ps1" to a known safe location (I saved as undervolt.ps1 and saved in a folder called boot in C:\)

3) run the file to be positive it works in powershell. I.e. set an undervolt of 0 in xtu, then run the file in powershell to make sure it changes

4) Search for powershell, shift-right click, run as administrator and run: Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

5) Copy this code into notepad:

command = "powershell.exe -nologo -command C:\Your .ps1 File Path Here"
    set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    shell.Run command,0

6) Save as undervolt.vbs

7) You can run using Task Scheduler. Simply open task scheduler and create a basic new task. Your triggers are going to be, At log on (or whenever you'd like) but at log in seems to work best

Actions: For this brouse to your undervolt.vbs it is a script so no program needs to be run

Check "Run with highest privileges" in finish step

Note: the .vbs script allows powershell to run in the background without a powershell window popping up for a few seconds.

If you'd rather the powershell window pop up, you set action program as powershell.exe and put the .ps1 file path under arguments

The power shell window will then pop up for 2 seconds and show the undervolt

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. daveros63

daveros63 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Amazing, brilliant, thank you!

I was having problems getting the script to run on startup, until I realised I was being silly and forgot the " after the .ps1 file path. Works brilliantly, thank you again.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you That old guy! Works awesome and hassle free.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  4. Tom-Ate

Tom-Ate Newbie

Reputations:
    somehow this doesnt work for me ps1 file works but the task not

5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just make the powershell window open for a second and auto close and it will work all the time.

6. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    The task doesn't work if you don't do step 4:

4) Search for powershell, shift-right click, run as administrator and run: Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Otherwise, if you messed some other step up, usually you just get an error message.

7. daveros63

daveros63 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Had to re-run step 4 after Creator's Update, fyi.

Thanks again for this guide.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  8. teapout

teapout Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is really helpful, thanks! Side question - is it better to use Throttlestop over XTU? Been reading a bit about the two, and use XTU only because it was really simple to undervolt.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  9. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    With stock bios I'd say XTU is better and easier to use, but with unlocked bios or unlocked processor TS gives more options to play with.

10. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd only ever use XTU to unlock the power limits and Throttlestop to undervolt on all processors either locked such as the 6700HQ or 7700HQ or unlocked like the 6820HK or the 7820HK. Reason being there is Much more settings but also much more reliability with the settings sticking when using Throttlestop to undervolt. Also Throttlestop allows you to disable power and throttle stopping techniques used by Intel and also enable speed shift to allow you to get the best performance from your CPU.

Note, never run Throttlestop and XTU at the same time or settings will be a mess

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk