how smart is it to get smartcar

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by useroflaptops, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. useroflaptops

useroflaptops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yes or no

what is the avg insurance going for owning one, for say any moderate experienced full license driver, no accidents blah blah

2. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    it really depends on where you live....

and insurance is cheap for them btw

3. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what the insurance rates are, probably reasonable given that the smart can't do that much damage to other people or their vehicles.

I don't understand why anyone would want one of these, though. Tests have shown that it averages 36-38mpg overall. Several subcompacts with much more space and features are within a few mpg. Frontal crash tests rate it at 4-stars for the driver and 3-stars for passenger, surprisingly good for such a tiny vehicle. But a lot of subcompacts have 5-star ratings for both front passengers. Unfortunately, the smart's side-impact rating is poor. The door came open/fell off during the side-impact test!

Then there's the issue of the 1.0L 3-cylinder engine that only makes 71hp. The transmission has been unilaterally condemned by the auto press. It's rough and jerky during even gentle driving conditions and very reluctant to find a lower gear when you floor it hoping for something akin to acceleration.

A final strike against it- the smart is very succeptible to crosswinds! It can actually make maintaining your lane on the highway a hit-or-miss experience!

4. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed with allfiredup, the Smart makes a whole lot more sense when equipped with the optional diesel engine instead of the gas one we have. That's one way it gets the phenomenal mileage that everyone else seems to experience.

Personally, I love the looks of it, even up close. And if you spend a lot of time in the city, it seems like a great way to go around town. Easy to park, and plenty of visibility. If your sure you won't need to carry more than one additional passenger (or have a larger car as an alternate) then it could work for you. :D

Full road test of Smart ForTwo: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=124870

A good resource to see just how well a car fares in real life is a long term road test. Edmunds Inside Line has had a Smart ForTwo for a while, here's what they have to say: http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2008SmartFortwoPassionCoupe/

*the entries are in chronological order, with the first entry at the bottom of the page* :)

5. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    I think they are over rated, they are small, dont look safe, and because they are so under powered they get poor gas mileage, civics get better mileage, are bigger and safer.

6. ac500

ac500 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Conclusion: The smartcar is goofy and not really practical:
    Unless for some reason you prefer the look, which is a valid reason (but not my own opinion, for sure) despite the impracticality, don't even consider buying one.

7. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    wow 70hp? doesnt sound too smart to me....that would the most god-awfully slow thing.

8. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    If you do alot of city driving + a commute then it may be "smart". The only reason I would personally buy one would be if I lived in the city or commuted to the city everyday (2nd worse traffic in the country here). The problem is there is no utility with them and they only seat 2.

9. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Depends, do you like the idea of driving around in your own portable coffin, or not?

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    I hear they crash test well with non moving objects.

Remember its in a tiny vehicle. Think of it as driving a base civic or corolla power wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHpUO-S0i8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.