How quiet can the MSI GT75 8RG can it get at base frequencies?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by UncleMysh, May 6, 2018.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Hmmm, the screen issue... I think I have experienced it too with my machine. I noticed that when it happened, my LED indicating the dGPU is in use, was turned off. I do suspect it is caused by the nvidia GPU powering off somehow and not powering on again, which is why the screen and all remains black and "Frozen" like that. to me it happens when I close the lid and it wants to go to sleep. If in your case, it is being caused just by the screen turning off, then something is wrong.

Can you do a small test, by keeping something like HWmonitor running, just to sort of... "keep alive" the GPU and then let the screen timeout?

A lot of these issues will still affect users of different models and brands so I want to try troubleshooting as much as possible. But I will not advise just to keep your machine if it's causing trouble. You should do what makes you happy and if this machine is more trouble to you than what you are willing to handle it is perfectly valid to ask your money back. When returning the machine please let MSI know the issues you are experiencing and if possible, how to replicate it, as this will help with future patches/updates or whatever it is needed.

UncleMysh likes this.
  2. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It seems fine with hwinfo open. It just successfully entered screen timeout and woke up from it normally more than 10 times. I will let it idle for a little longer with hwinfo up while eating and post an update then. If it works with hwinfo open what would that mean? I did find driver power state failure in dump file pointing at Nvlddmkm.sys or sth like that. Seems just like a driver error to me... I will probably see if it happens with the 397.64 driver (which is broken in games haha) to see if this was fixed as the nvlddmkm is reported in one of the releases in between as fixed. If that works then I would just have to wait till nshittia releases sth that actually works.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  3. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I do believe it is driver related and I recently installed 391.35 and I experienced this same issue you mention with the black screen. I will check my event list and see if I have the same power failure. But as I mentioned, I noticed the led of the nvidia GPU had powered off despite the system was still on. Since most of the time I keep HWmonitor open, I didn't notice until I closed the software, and let it download steam games, and thats when it happened.

I will see what I can find about this issue and backtrack to see which driver doesn't cause it.

UncleMysh and heliada like this.
  4. heliada

Reputations:
    I can confirm with hwinfo open there are no issues, the laptop was left to idle for more than 2 hours while watching a movie on tv and it is still up and running. I will use hwinfo now as a workaround for the issue and raise the driver problem with msi.

UncleMysh likes this.
  5. wilpang

wilpang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you guys/gals also notice a coil whine or quiet shrill at idle fans?

UncleMysh likes this.
  6. heliada

Reputations:
    No coil whine for me but the cpu fan makes loads of high pitch noise. Try increasing its speed in dragon center to confirm/rule it out. Also test gpu fan the same way. You can do it using advanced mode. Mine is relatively bearable until about 1800rpm, after which it produces lots of noise.
    Coil whine in these laptops can usually be tested by comparing balance vs high performance setting (on my gt72vr coil whine was present when not under load with cpu locked at max boost, it disappeared when cpu went lower than 3ghz or when I put load on the cpu.) - this is not the case on my gt75, at least I notice nothing of it over the loud faulty cpu fan.

7. wilpang

wilpang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's mainly the CPU I think, other reviews have said the same Kitguru and Notebookcheck. It has to be a quiet room for me to hear it though.

I agree when it gets warm the fans do kick in and while gaming the GPU fan definitely gets loud but minimised by undervolting so far. I'm not expert enough to mess with Bios and all that.

UncleMysh likes this.
  8. heliada

Reputations:
    Well I can't argue with what you say cause I swear I can't hear anything over my cpu fan. It's shot. It makes this very bad noise and I even heard it grind when spinning up and down. I will call msi tomorrow and see what can they do for me if I have evidence (not very difficult to capture on video). Anyway, I had coil whine on the gt72vr and it was totally resolved by using balance/comfort mode (cpu would still speed up under load but when under load it did not produce the noise anymore).

UncleMysh likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm loving this spahgetti code. MSI or Nvidia. Probably both of them on purpose huh?

UncleMysh likes this.
  10. UncleMysh

UncleMysh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Many thanks! I will definitely get back to you guys.

I have ordered a modified version from HID with the help of @Donald@HIDevolution. The aim was not to go for extreme gear, but to optimize the setup with noise levels in mind. I would appreciate the forum support and @Phoenix help (somehow I cannot PM you), when I receive the machine.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    skman, Pedro69 and heliada like this.