How quiet can the MSI GT75 8RG can it get at base frequencies?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by UncleMysh, May 6, 2018.

1. Justin96

Justin96 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Phoenix buys from HIDevolution and he lives in Dubai. So they must do an insane job on the laptop and pachaging. When I said high that would be ultra on the games I was playing. The thermal grizzly paste has been tested and in some cases dropped the Temps on some laptops 20 degrees Celsius.

UncleMysh and heliada like this.
  2. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    We can probably guide you to tweak the machine. I don't have a GT75 myself, but I assume menus are similar. The community here is great to help tweak machines and since you are looking for a non loud machine, I think there is great room for testing. Depending on which version you end up buying, you will tweak multipliers, voltages and fan spin curve. That should net you a machine that works under your needs.

UncleMysh likes this.
  3. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Most resellers can ship internationally. I think most do.

Some of the mods seem interesting, I want to try the holed bottom panel. I have the tools, I just haven't had the time. I am also going to repaste soon so I might do both and see how my temps fare. Have you lowered your voltage yet? That alone might help your temps without needing anything extra done, for the time being.

Kevin@GenTechPC and heliada like this.
  4. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I lowered the voltage on cpu. Max temps now when torture stress testing is like 81 or 82 with ambient of 24. It's not that bad I think. I have some gelid gc extreme in the drawer that we will be putting on. I don't like the gpu running at 85 with the jet noise while gaming (that only happens when I play less cpu intensive game as the cpu fan also helps a great deal with gpu temps - playing ac origins I never really see 80 anymore at all since both fans do their job).

UncleMysh likes this.
  5. Stephan_N

Stephan_N Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You got those decibel readings on which config? Were these at ear-level or next to the fans? I really want to know if the GT75 can game out loud without the fans being a nuisance. Thanks!

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The noise level changes depending on the load, however it can be nuisance at full load because it's very audible.

Pedro69 likes this.
  7. ryzeki

Reputations:
    The CPU temps seem fine, if you repaste then you should be good to go in that department.

The GPU is indeed running on the hotter side. I haven't repasted mine since I got it and I rarely hit 80 unless its a demanding game, playing at 4K. So you should get similar temps considering the machine. Or even better temps. A repaste here should do the job as well.

UncleMysh likes this.
  8. heliada

Reputations:
    I don't hit 80 on gpu as long as cpu fan is up and running - which means that ironically when cpu is hotter, the entire system is colder :D When only gpu is being used and the second fan is idling around, the temps get up to 86 max... But atm I am more concerned about the driver issues and crashing when idle with artifacts over the entire screen or just simple reboot - under load it is perfectly stable, it only goes wrong when screen times out and should go black but... often that does not work (dump is pointing to nvlddmkm which belongs to nvidia drivers and specifically it throws power state failure. The only other available driver makes my gpu downclock and games stutter severely. I am pretty disappointed).

9. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Does the crash always happen? Or after a reboot it seems to work fine?

Drivers are a nightmare when the machine is first released due to new nvidia drivers either not recognizing the hardware, or just plain breaking stuff.

I find it odd that your machine heats more when the CPU is not used much. Since one fan should be dedicated to the GPU and the other to the CPU, you should experience such extreme difference.

In nVidia control panel, are you using Optimal, Adaptive or Max performance? I recommend adaptive. I don't like Optimal and Max performance makes you run hut all the time due to making clocks keep max state.

Your issues remind me of an issue we had with the GT80 and nvidia drivers, that was cause due to sleep and hybrid sleep. These would make the laptop prone to crash 99% of the time when booting, and could be "fixed" by booting, the immediately rebooting. Something within the sleep/hybrid sleep of windows made it unstable. But I don't know if it's remotely the same issue.

I don't think my GT73 is stable when sleeping either. since I don't use it at all, I don't know.

10. heliada

Reputations:
    It happens 90% of the time. I swear I just went to the wc and came back to black screen... and nothing else. It would not wake up - had to hard reset it. All is good as long as the screen does not time out. I am really disappointed. As for the gpu temps, there is a heatpipe from the VRM's to the cpu fan, I assume that it also helps with overall temps. I just feel like calling msi and asking if I can get my money back after all, the cpu fan makes noise too so it would need to be replaced... considering the price it's just too much of a headache even though I got it as replacement for my gt72vr 6re. I'd rather have my 2000 euro back at this point.... why are they doing this to me... I will call msi tomorrow and ask what can we do with this all.
    PS. I am already on adaptive.

Last edited: May 15, 2018