How portable are the 15" Clevos?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by pqueiro, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pqueiro

pqueiro Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi

I'm > < this close to buying a Clevo W110ER, but the other day I checked out the 15" models (W150ER, P150EM, P151EM) and I'm intrigued by the 1080p screens and improved graphics, which should help longevity - something I hold dear.

However, I travel a lot, which is why I was looking at the 11" version. I don't plan to walk around with the computer all the time on my hands, but I'll inevitably carry it in a backpack or a briefcase and suddenly, weight matters.

So what are your thoughts on the issue? How heavy are the Clevos and how portable are they? I've had nothing but 12-13" laptops for the last 6 years now, and so do all my colleagues at work and friends I can think of, so I don't have a handy reference point. Does anyone have one of those laptops who travels much? Any feedback?

As for the improved hardware, how much of a boost is 1Gb GDDR5 vs 2Gb DDR3 in a GT650m? How much of an improvement are the 670m and 675m vs the 650? What are their impacts on battery life and longevity?

Thanks!

2. Drew-44-

Drew-44- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would definitely go for one of the 15" models. The performance gains from just going that little bit bigger are pretty good. And the weight isn't that high, the P150EM is ~7lbs. As far as the graphics cards go, here is a link to a good diagram on the NVIDIA website comparing the performance of the cards.

GeForce GT 650M | Performance | GeForce

Of course as performance increases, battery life will decrease, especially with the 670M and 675M because they are based on the older, hotter, and less energy efficient Fermi architecture. Are you getting this computer to game?

3. pqueiro

pqueiro Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, but what performance gains are we talking about here? The CPU, RAM and HDD would be the same, it'd be just screen + gfx + possibly cooling, right? That chart you posted suggests nearly 20% gains for the 660 vs 650, but how is that going to hold up over the next 2 years given that the 660 is based on the older architecture? Couldn't I overclock the 650 and close the gap?

As for the weight, the P150 is ~7lbs, but that's nearly twice the W110ER's weight. It does make a difference, especially given that I don't need the optical drive.

Yes, I want to game on this laptop, but I'm not a terribly demanding gamer. I have an HD4850 on my desktop and I have yet to feel the need for an upgrade :)

Thanks!

4. avanish11

avanish11 Panda! ^_^

Reputations:
    It depends on how much you're going to be carrying it around. My laptop is 6.5 lbs, and carrying it around in my backpack with a few notebooks and a textbook or two would completely destroy my back and shoulders by the end of the day, even if I only carry it between classes for say 10-20 minutes at a time, for a total of 2 hours or so max. If you're only going to carry it occasionally like a few times a month or less, or you only carry the computer with you, you should be alright with the heavier laptop, otherwise I'd get one that's lighter.

5. pqueiro

pqueiro Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    avanish, therein lies the issue, I used to have a laptop around that weight in college and I didn't realise how much I hated the weight until I got one half as heavy :p

Things have now changed though, I have a sleek x201 Tablet for work - company machine - and I wouldn't lug this one around all day. The problem now is that I travel a lot, and I have to figure out if 6lbs of computer is going to annoy me at the airport (getting through security, opening it on the plane, etc).

Ah well. Thanks for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.