How often should spark plugs be replaced?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by narsnail, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So I have been noticing my car has had some pretty rough starts lately, it idles pretty low sometimes, like its going to stall, at just about 500rpm and then bounces up to 1000, its very uneven.

And sometimes when I drop the pedal I can notice some weird pulls at high RPMs, above 5000 usually, I rarely do this but it is noticeable.

Plus I have no idea when they were replaced last anyways.

Do they possibly just require a good cleaning? Or should i just do it, it will only be about $30 and I can do it myself.

Suggestions?

2. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    weren't u already havin these problems before? if u don't even know when the last time the plugs were changed then it would be a good idea to change them.

buy some plugs and a gap measuring tool and just do it yurself. the plugs should be a 10mm or 12mm deep socket.

3. narsnail

Reputations:
    Yea there is a really good how to on contour.org, so I will just follow that.

Its been very noticeable lately, and the other problems I was having before were with regards to the clutch. I have an uncle who is a mechanic whos going to help me out, should be under a grand this way.

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Some claim to be good for 100k miles, but I personally would change them more often that that(or get a real truck that doesn't use spark plugs. :p ) If its been a while then it might be worth doing the cables with the plugs.

5. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    What car/engine?

I dont think its your sparkies thats causing the funny idle, but you should change them anyway if you dont know the last time it was changed. Grab some NGK iridiums (and NGK leads if you have spare $$). First thing id do is clean the throttle body and IACV (idle air control valve).

You dont need to gap spark plugs if you buy the correct gapping to begin with. Check your service manual for more info.

Its a fairly easy DIY. Pop the old plugs out, check out their condition. Insert the new ones in using the socket and turn it by hand, when it too tight to turn, use a ratchet to tighten 2/3 of a turn. (You need to follow this correctly or your engine could function wrong or even overheat.)

Just follow directions and you should be fine.

6. narsnail

Reputations:
    It is a 98 Contour SVT, and I know the exact model of spark plugs I need to get, so it will be an exact fit. They gotta be double platinum so ill stick with what was recommended.

I think there were guides on how to do that as well (car noob here :)) so maybe I will check that out.

7. dietcokefiend

dietcokefiend DietGreenTeaFiend

Reputations:
    Have you ever changed spark plugs before? Reason I ask is some cars if you have never experienced with a crush washer feels like and when you should stop turning it can be easy to strip threads out, which for a cylinder head can be pretty expensive to fix.

8. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    You never need to change sparkplugs. They last forever in less you physically crack them or snap them in half. I have many mowers using 1951 circa AC sparkplugs. They run for ever. They are more of a gimmick then everything. You never really need to change them.

K-TRON

9. dietcokefiend

dietcokefiend DietGreenTeaFiend

Reputations:
    :twitchy: I hope this is a joke

10. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    Take a look at this page, and then pull on of your plugs. If the engine problems are caused by the plugs themselves, you will see indications (as well as many other engine problems). If you don't know when they were last changed, as others have indicted, it is agood idea to change them. Keep the old ones as back-up-you never know when you'll need them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.