1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How often should a laptop fan be replaced?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Ghosthostile, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghosthostile

Ghosthostile Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know question isn't exactly the most easy thing to answer, but in your experience how often do laptop fan's break?

I am concerned because my laptop fan becomes audible and very frequent when doing virus scans or running anything flash based, sometimes they don't turn off until the scan is complete or flash hasn't been used for a while.

Is it possible for a fan to wear faster even if free of dust if it's on more often than not?

I know a fan never really turns off, but mine is pretty audible, not ear piercing audible nor very annoying but its definitely the loudest laptop I've owned (I use it only on a wooden desk and keep everything dust free)

I do not hear anything that could indicate a fault with it, I can only hear it spin up and hear the airflow, the laptop temperature has never gone above 60oc, and the fans have been set in BIOS to switch on once the machine has peaked 50oc, there is no way to change this as there are no options in BIOS and speedfan does not work, obviously they don't want people changing this.

2. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    When the fans starts making a grinding noise or it stops turning, thats when I would replace it.

3. Gracy123

Gracy123 Agrees to disagree

Reputations:
    The FAN, pretty much as every other material thing in this world, gets old and wears out! Don't forget the fan is actually a bearing - each bearing has certain estimated lifetime, based mainly on millions of cycles. Hence - the more and the faster the FAN is in use - the sooner it will need replacing.

This however gives no particular information about "how often" as it depends on the quality, as well as on dust, temperature and other factors. I used my previous laptop for 4 years (it has been on almost 24h a day) and I never had to replace the FAN. Unfortunately others complain of a broken FAN few months or an year after purchase.

As said above - whenever the FAN stops spinning or starts making unnatural sounds - this is the time to replace it. If you think it is just more noisy (pay attention that it is normal to be more noisy when spinning on higher speeds!) - you can try lubricating the bearing - this might help a bit.

4. ramgen

ramgen -- Morgan Stanley --

Reputations:
    The average lifetime of a fan should be around 50,000 hours (read it somewhere long time ago). That's why most users don't need to change it during the lifetime of a laptop.

50,000 hours means 5.7 years of continuous operation. If you are using your laptop for 12 hours/day it should take more than 11 years for the fan to die out.

--

5. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Uhmm, to be anal about it, the fan has a bearing, but it's a fan (or a fan assembly), not a bearing. ;)

In any case, practically all laptop fans these days have magnetic bearings, that are not subject to substantial mechanical wear. Of course, these fans still only have a finite lifetime, and wear out eventually, but as has been pointed out the lifetime of your typical laptop fan far exceeds the useful life of the laptop itself. So, unless you have a bum fan, you should not have to replace it, ever.

6. Gracy123

Reputations:
    Thanks for the correction, that's what I meant :)

Yes - usually one FAN lasts long enough, but there are always exceptions or defective models...:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/554891-where-buy-vaio-z-vpz11c5e-replacement-fan.html

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you don't constantly blow out the fan with compressed air and clean it out regularly, it should be quite a while. I still have Pentium 2 notebooks on their first fan. It really comes down to dumb luck, I have seen certain notebook manufacturer fan's fail very very quickly.

8. Gracy123

Reputations:
    To be honest the only few laptops with defective FANs I've seen were all Dell. But it is rather a luck-thing.

9. exe

exe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with the posters above, if it's not broken/irregular sound, don't replace. Also, when fans and especially the heatsink it blows through becomes clogged with dust, the fans will work harder and will sound louder. I think this is what you are experiencing. I would suggest dismantaling the laptop to get at the fans and heatsink. Sometimes, just air pressure from the outside doesn't clean it all out and may force large dust clots to get on the fan fins and slow it or stop it from spinning. I had this happen on one of my laptops. Also, if using compressed air, try to jam your fans because it's not rated to spin at an abnormally high speed. I hope you don't have a HP, it's a b i t c-h to open up.

10. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Depends on the fan.

My Vaios fan was replaced just within it's warranty time of 2 years, the fan on my old laptop still works after 5,5 years, 3 of those years with heavy use.
    On another old laptop the fan also still works after 6 years.