How often do you use Launchpad?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Mitlov, Jun 10, 2012.

?

How often do you use Launchpad?

1. I don't have Lion, so I don't have Launchpad

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. I have Lion, but I never use Launchpad

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. I use it, though less often than the dock

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. I use it about as much as the dock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I use both it and the dock, but I use launchpad more often

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. I only use Launchpad to launch programs

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I used Launchpad more when I first got my MBP, but in the last 4-5 months I've maybe used 5 times. I keep frequently accessed items in the dock or use CMD+Space to launch programs.

2. shriek11

shriek11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The gesture to open launchpad is awkward. The other way to go trough is to launch it from the dock, but I haven't have had the need for opening that many programs to use the launchpad layout. Dock + desktop does it for me right now.

3. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    Mines not cluttered at all, I took about an hour to organize it. Main used apps are on the front page, and sub used are in folders on the front page... I don't use more than 1 page mainly because of using folders. Extra junk and things that are auto added until I organize them are thrown on the second page.

CMD+Space and typing is faster? really? I always found that extremely slow.

surprised to see so many people launch apps from Spotlight.

4. diGit_S

diGit_S Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I once started organizing it but quickly gave up, I don't find it a very user-friendly experience using a mouse or trackpad (as opposed to a touchscreen, which is perfect for this). Also, every-time I install an app or create an alias, it shows up in Launchpad, which means extra organizing, and apps showing up double in the Launchpad.

I can type extremely fast, much faster than you I'm sure (jk ;))

Anyway, if i start typing about the first 2-3 letters of what I'm looking for, it's there in the results. I'd have to time it to be 100% scientifically correct, but it feels faster to open Spotlight with the keyboard shortcut and start typing some letters than to go through the Applications folder, which I have in the Dock.

I also use Spotlight all the time for opening documents, images, movies,... as it's faster then going through the Finder tree.

5. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    I also use this method, precisely.

CMD+space+(first few characters, often just one)+enter

For me, it's much faster than the launchpad or the dock or any other method that requires pointing with the trackpad, just because typing is extremely fast.

6. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    Exactly what I do, and I really dislike putting the dock and the windows bar to the sides. Even the windows bar is on auto hide, despite its smaller size.

7. bogatyr

bogatyr Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity - having never used OS X prior to Lion - how does one open an app that isn't on the dock already without going through finder or spotlight?

I certainly use too many apps to have on the dock all the time so the only option I knew of prior to hearing about Spotlight just now was the LaunchPad (I don't consider Finder an alternative as it is a huge huge hassle).

8. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    There are basically 4 ways to launch applications and you just went through them. I suppose you could also put an application or an application shortcut on your desktop, but it will just clutter up your desktop. How many ways do you need?

9. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    this is why i keep junk on a second page.. new stuff always gets put on the second page and my first page stays nice and neat until I look at the second page and grab the new stuff I want. Launchpad isn't perfect (and its actually part of the Dock app) but for a feature i thought I'd hate and was stupid (I'm not an iPad user) I really do love it.
    I have no problems typing, and this might not be an issue with a fast SSD, but when my machine is already partially busy and spotlight starts looking for something, it can take 3 to 10 seconds for the apps i'm looking for to even appear in the list... I don't want to wait for a list to show up. Being I just ordered a new Retina Mac that has an SSD, maybe this will get better.
    I occasionally do, but the search is so slow. I already keep my stuff very organized so I can usually find it faster in Finder in a couple of clicks.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Exactly. OSX has every single method of launching an app that I know of except for a Windows XP/Linux Mint-style start menu. Every other option is already part of the OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.