How much RAM does your phone REALLY need in 2019?

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Spartan, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Whatever my iPhone has is enough. It does not bog down, does everything I want it to do. If I had an android phone it would be a different story.

hmscott, Jarhead and Aroc like this.
  3. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What the article didn't mention is how long the SSD memory will last if it i continually being written to. The answer depends on a very variable write durability but there is always going to be a limit.

Using any sort of SD as a cache is just asking or trouble.

If your phone starts slowing down, I say close stuff before you bugger it for good.

Good argument for 4GB, at least.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Baconfat

Baconfat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Needs:
    iPhone: 2GB
    Android: infinite

Thank Android creators for choosing Java.

hmscott and Starlight5 like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    2GB is barely enough for ios 11 and above on 64bit, 4GB is the optimal amount because idevices render images and text at higher resolutions which are then scaled to display resolution. People using Facebook,Twitter, instagram,snapchat etc.. will find 2GB barely unusable.

hmscott likes this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Beg to differ, my 6s only has 2 gb of ram, and it's fast. I have no issues with that. I think my 8 only has three, and thats faster again. In the world of android, yes, you need crap loads of ram. In the world of iphone, you don't.

hmscott, saturnotaku and Papusan like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Even 2GB seems low to me when you consider the phone OS will be updated for 5 yrs. My mom complained once or twice about app reloading issues. She uses only Whatsapp and youtube, nothing else. When I checked AIDA64, memory was almost full.

hmscott likes this.
  8. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How phones are used is a big variable: A user that cycles between only a few apps will face few redraws, those that have 17 tabs open in Chrome and a dozen or more apps open are going to use more ram if available or again, face redraws. After that you have the fact that android is designed to be used on an unlimited number of different devices with different build trees and massive disparities in capability. Meanwhile on iPhone you have essentially one build and a very limited number of similar devices. That gives iphone apps the ability to be much more finely tuned for performance, both the stock payload and store apps. On android you can only overcome this with brute force because the best developer still cannot overcome the need for broad compatibility. Like most things brute force does work and few modern android phones have performance issues. Mr Crab has the latest iphone, and it's no faster or smoother than my 6T, if anything, it's slower. Times change.

hmscott likes this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My son uses his iphone 5s as a backup and it still hums along fine. It's using its memory it's not lacking in memory.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My wife's 6s hums along as the day it was new, and she heavily uses Faceberg, Messenger, Amazon, etc, along with having about a dozen Safari tabs open at all times.

kojack, Vasudev and hmscott like this.