How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Everything Political' started by Southpaw, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    when you make low blows at the Pope, people think of you as going, "over the line", even if it's funny. but when you make low blows at you or me, people regard it as funny and just regular ole humor. it's not my way of thinking; it's how it is. don't even kid yourself.

go to the WWII memorial and dog jokes on the vets that are crippled who are in wheel chairs there, and see how many people think you're not "sick and demented".

look how many people said that it was a bit over the top for them to say that about Sarah Palin. is she your average person? she's a political leader. when you crack really harsh jokes like that, people think that's a bit messed up.

you're going to use Triumph as an example? have you not heard the cries that he's a bit over the line and too vulgar with his comedy? perhaps not.

2. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

Reputations:
    Making a joke on vets who are crippled or in wheelchairs is TOTALLY different than making a <del>redneck</del> Appalachian American incest joke. Appalachian American incest jokes are so common in the comedy world that only either the close minded people or Appalachian Americans themselves would find it offensive. As for the Pope, there are tons of comedians/movies make fun of him too. The second video I posted is not Triumph, it's MADtv. I can easily show you many other comedic videos making fun of politicians. The Daily Show is a very popular one.

Anyway, my point is, offensive or not, SNL did not pull something that other comedians are not doing.

3. Lysander

Lysander AFK, raid time.

Reputations:
    See, where I come from, the higher the target, the better the shot. People here see ripping on those below you as a sign that you are pathetic.

Pope jokes get the best laughs where I hang out, even from the Catholics.

Pollies get paid more than the average worker for sitting around on their ringer all year, the least they could do is take a joke.

4. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    ... the hell kinda comedy do you watch???

anyways, my point wasn't that people aren't doing it, but people SHUN you for doing so.

there have been MANY people calling in on conservative talk radio shows claiming they will never watch SNL ever again because of this.

i could careless if they make fun of her or not; it's comedy.

note that no one slams WWII vets without being looked at in disgust.

obviously the higher the target, the better the shot. when you go for the gold, it's funny, because most people's jokes are towards the common man, not some prestigious or nobel person. however, what i said stands true. you get too many people who become offended when you aim high like that in comedy. poking fun and dogging jokes are two different things.

if i started slamming on prophets in religions, and religious gods, people will become upset.

5. Zenica

Zenica InterArmaEnimSilentLeges

Reputations:
    So who will you have wielding control over the "Censorship" button?

I can tell you this, NIMBY, or more aptly put, NOMTV.
    (NIMBY=Not In MY Back Yard and NOMTV= Not On My TV)
    The only person or people providing censorship in my house (from the limited selection available, clearly I have next to zero say in what will be produced
    for television) will be me and my wife.

6. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

Reputations:
    Just the regular comedy that everyone else watches. I don't know if you watch a lot of comedies or not, but so many famous stand-up comedians I watched have pulled those incest jokes at their shows.

Here is an example, have you seen this movie before? There is a whole 5-10 minutes part that were making fun of this same subject. This YouTube clip is only a small part of the joke. Seriously, incest jokes are really common in the comedy world.

Why are you keep on bringing up vets? That's different, vets get more respect than most politicians. It's not true at all that most people's jokes are towards the common man. Comedy is exactly where people get away for bashing the top. If you have never seen shows that slam on religions and their gods, then I guess you don't watch a lot of comedy shows.

7. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    you're cultured to believe vets are highly respected. as was i. i have much respect for them. you understand that joking on vets is ridiculous and disturbing. how do you not understand my point then? you're already indoctrinated to what i'm saying.

it isn't that people aren't doing it, i'm not arguing that. it's that i can make a joke or two on the common man and receive no backlashes, but when you go for bigger targets, you get people who are upset.

THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. YOU [people in general] ARE RIDICULED FOR MAKING FUN OF THE PEOPLE WHO'S SOCIAL STATUS ARE HIGHER THAN YOURS.

8. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

Reputations:
    Didn't you read I wrote earlier that you would get offended if you're part of the group that's being the subject? And there is a big difference between making a joke that no one makes or is rarely made and a joke that is commonly made.

You can make a joke or two on the common man and receive no backlashes? That's absurd. Try to make some jokes here towards a certain ethnic group, but common people, or don't even have to be ethnic related, I can guarantee you that you will get more backlashes or bans than me making jokes about politicians.

First of all, how do you know I'm "people in general"? And secondly, even if I'm "people in general", I'm not the one who came up with those jokes. For the record, do you even watch comedy shows, or have you seen any comedy shows at all?

9. Polarix

Polarix Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Stole the words out of my mouth. Don't like it? Don't watch it. Who cares.

10. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've never heard anyone ridicule the likes of: Letterman (on McCain just in the last couple of days), Leno, Chris Rock and a million other comics/comedians, including, if anyone here besides myself remembers, Bob Hope (who I saw in person twice while in Vietnam). Hope used to absolutely shred every politician of his era.
    And Georgie has been the butt of jokes by everyone, everywhere for years.

I love this little zinger by Hope: "Carter wants to go to Washington. He'll feel right at home there - he was raised on a nut farm ... Every time he grins, someone tries to write 'Steinway' on his upper lip."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.