How much is this laptop worth?

Discussion in 'Price Check Forum' started by ChrisToePha, Apr 30, 2020.

1. ChrisToePha

ChrisToePha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I currently have a Sager Clevo P870DM2_DM3 with the following specs

CPU: i7-6700K @ 4 GHz (8 CPUs)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    RAM: 32 GB
    Storage: 2 x 500 GB SSDs
    Screen: 120 Hz refresh rate, 2560x1440

I tried to look on eBay but I don't see one being sold so I really can't get an estimate of how much this laptop would cost right now in the market. The laptop is in mint condition without any problems, everything is fully funcitoning.

I am looking to sell it to make a desktop, finally giving up on laptops. I would like to transition to a really nice desktop setup for gaming and video editing.

Does anyone know how much this would sell for? A rough estimate

Duck W and Dr. AMK like this.
  2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would say $1300 is a fair price for it.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That CPU is now 4 generations old and there are brand new RTX 2060 laptops selling for that price or even less in some cases. I’d say $900 is more where the market would be, with the OP needing to be willing to take less for a quick sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Perhaps to a novice buyer that’s what it would seem to be worth. But to someone experienced enough to know what it is, it’s still a very modular/upgradeable DTR system, with a GPU that competes against the mobile 2070, a fairly rare high refresh rate QHD screen, sizable amounts of RAM and SSD, great expandability (3x M.2, 4x SO-DIMM, 2x 2.5”), and great cooling courtesy of the dual vapor chamber. I think $1300 is more than reasonable for an example in mint condition.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Those new machines also come with a warranty, plus your target sellers market is small to see that value, you can check the members market on here (which has a price check section too IIRC which would be more appropriate for this).

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Part it out, it will take more time, but you will get more money. Let me know the price when you have it.

7. ChrisToePha

Reputations:
    When you say part it out, did you mean to take out the parts and sell it piece by piece?

8. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes its what he means

9. ChrisToePha

Reputations:
    Aghh, I know this is going to sound quite absurd from a guy who owns this laptop but I'm actually afraid to strip it apart and break something.

I'm trying to sell it all as one unless you think I'll be making a lot more...

10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the $900 estimate is more accurate.. and selling as parts can mean a lot of work. Disassembly, time spent haggling about prices, shipping costs and legwork, harder to test a DOA spare part, etc.

Maybe you could live with it for a while and try to work a trade for a full used desktop locally? I find sometimes folks selling their desktop (usually to switch to a laptop...) are happier to sell it to together for the same reasons. That P870DM2 should be able to take a 6 or 8 core processor for not much work either so it could be a selling point.

Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.