How much difference in Conductaunt vs Kryonaut(no OC)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by 133794m3r, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 133794m3r

133794m3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra costs involved with going with HID Evolution's version of the clevo laptop vs Sager's(from xoticpc as I have no use for windows OS)

Here are the 2 laptops in link form.

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p960ed-rtx-2060.html

https://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8961-clevo-p960ed.html

The HID Evolution one is ~150USD more than the xoticpc with the same featuresets and even including the accidental coverage including LCD it's $50 more than the other one which makes no sense as to why their laptop would be so much higher than the others.

I should say that for _both_ I am of course including the fujipoly foam on them and of course the highest thermal upgrade that they both offer everything else is pretty basic(1 stick of 16GiB ram since I can get another one that's cheaper elsewhere) no HDD/SSD on either etc.

P.S. I know that the sager one has a $100 discount going on right now and that hid gives you $20 discount(or something like that) for being a NBR member so that was factored into this already. Both were the cash prices also. I should also say that I realize that pretty much _no_ TIM material shares their laboratory data backing up their heat dissipation claims and in reality only get 1/4 or less of the posted level in general as was shown by the DOE report on various TIMs.

2. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There could be a difference of 5-20 c degrees cooler between Kryonaut and Conducanaut, depending on the laptop and the max fan settings or adjustable fan curve. If you arent going to overclock, I would recommend Krynonaut as it's just as good and it's still within the top 5 TIM for CPU/GPU's.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  3. 133794m3r

Reputations:
    OK then I guess I'll just go with the cheaper option since it's still cheaper even with accidental insurance coverage, since both laptops are based on the same exact clevo model. Both probably use the _same_ exact BIOS as it only seems like the only time it's different is on the unlocked CPU versions that have premamod and since it doesn't have the ability to undervolt the SOC from the BIOS it's not worth the extra $50 as I doubt the cost of the liquid metal is really $50 more than just kryonaut.

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    In my experience with Conductonaut vs Kryonaut in laptops is about 4-7C max load temps (however closer to 4C in most cases). Those have been light to medium power laptops (XPS 15s, GS63s, and Alienware 17s). In my opinion it's not worth the $, and it's not even really worth the bother for me. I haven't been Wow'd going to LM outside of Delidding desktop cpus.

Every time I get the itch to do LM I'm disappointed in the results to be frank.

katalin_2003 likes this.
  5. 133794m3r

Reputations:
    I figured it was mostly worth it when doing delidding primarily because the solder that intel et all use is complete garbage from what I've seen online. I just with that clevo would make a BIOS that included the ability to undervolt the intel SOC from within it so that I don't have to rely on hacks to get my settings to stick under linux.