How many use AW 17 with 120hz screen and still use Win 10?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Papusan, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And here I am, happily computing away on Win 7 Ultimate X64. No reason to ever leave it, not until the security patches stop. It works beautifully, and vulkan > DX12 anyhow.

Mr. Fox and Ashtrix like this.
  2. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe but Vulkan is dead.

3. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    LOL ! Who said that ? Nougat 7.x welcomes it and all latest ARM and Custom mobile chips support it, New Engines are adding support like Cry Engine, Unity which previously didn't bother & Proof Exists that Vulkan is amazing - DOOM

DX12 days are numbered.

4. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are even no games coming built with Vulkan when there are dozens of DX12 titles coming. There was only one AAA game that used it and it was DOOM. ID software game, they always wanted to use OpenGL and they always suffered because of that.

ARM and custom mobile chips are not PC market. Silly mobile games may use Vulkan but we want AAA PC titles.

Cry Engine is partially dead as CryTek is going to bankrupt. Unity is the only engine that may change something with Indie titles.

AAA companies also ignore Vulkan because there is no multi-gpu support. They should did multi-gpu support and then release API, not release incomplete API. It's very important for high-performance laptop users to have SLI support.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    ^I agree what you've said but I don't believe Vulkan is dying.

6. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Been using Windows 10 since before launch with the 120 hz and never experienced any problems.....

7. vincey2kr1

vincey2kr1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm having troubles with windows 10 and my 120mhz screen. Ever since I went to it I get endless beep at boot. Have to reboot about 20 times before I get a display normal boot. This only happened when I updated to w10. I've ran a full 2 hr diagnostic check through dells website and everything checks out fine. I put it in sleep mode instead of shutting her down and she loads right back out of sleep perfectly fine.. I don't get it lol?! Maybe motherboard needs replaced, anyone know we're to get one ?

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    From what you describe, it sounds like your laptop screen has the EDID corrupted. If you get 8 beeps-pause-8 beeps endlessly, that is a dead giveaway. This is a known issue and there is a strong indication that the piece of trash known as Windows 10 creates a vulnerability that facilitates that problem. You need to use Linux or a programmer tool to re-flash the EDID. The corrupted EDID is serious problem ONLY DURING POST thanks to Dell's retarded approach to having the BIOS check for EDID every time you turn the machine on. That is why you get the beeping.

*** Windows 10 + NVIDIA WHQL Drivers are Killing Alienware and Clevo LCD Panels *** < Original Report - Breaking News (closed thread)

Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels | GeForce Forum < No recent activity

***EVGA Precision X and Windows 7/8/8.1 and especially 10 bricking systems*** < Active Thread here at NBR

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Papusan likes this.
  9. vincey2kr1

vincey2kr1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh my Mr .fox that's insane lots of threads I just read through and still not a definitive answer that it is fixed or how to do it simply! ? Ugh.. thanks for the info. Never tried Linux ever.. what programmer tool to use and I have to snip a wire to my screen wtf lol?!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Look for the posts by @t456 for instructions and the special Linux package to download in the first and third link in my last post.

It's not difficult and you use a bootable USB thumb drive for that. You don't need to know anything about Linux, just follow the instructions and you should be good to go. Using a programmer tool should be a last resort because it involves spending money. Using Linux costs nothing but your time. It is very fortunate that you can get it to boot once in a while without beeping or you would have to spend money hotswapping a spare screen or buying a programmer. Many of us were not so lucky.

Do not snip any wires... waste of time and won't help anything.