How many security softwares?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by nere, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyboy

joeyboy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK Cool thanks where do you turn to for testing and comparing?

AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Welcome to AV-Comparatives.org I was just reading an interesting article bout that here >> here Internet Security and Trust just interesting to know your thoughts also what's your choice of software when it comes to protection? what do you personalty use? :)

2. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    AV-Comparatives, AV-test.org and VirusBulletin (although the least interesting of those 3) and also smaller outfits like MRG/MalwareResearchGroup.

Melih has issues with half the world and their dog, I'm not touching those with a 30-feet pole.
    More focus at their products and less ritual brouhaha would benefit Comodo Ltd imao.
    What I use? Depends on the OS (on Linux almost nothing), new products posted at WildersSecurity.com etc.
    On Windows I like HIPS, light virtualization like Sandboxie and BufferZone, OS functionality; integrity levels, EMET and such and especially a layered setup avoiding putting all my eggs in one basket.

3. joeyboy

joeyboy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool yes I use Sandboxie:D to its good Software :) whats your thoughts no hitman pro or spy bot search and destroy?

I haven heard of EMET & HIPS do you have links so I can have a look :)

Cheers

4. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    if you don't have anything configured and just do proper windows updates, you'll get MSE for free. and that is good enough for all nonparanoid people out there. all i use since it's out. as do many many others.

ccleaner is not a security software per se. it's a cleaner, which can help or harm your systems performance (cleaning temporary internet files f.e. slows down your internet experience as you have to reload your web page content more often).

so, properly set up windows updates is enough to secure you nowadays (and MSE will be integrated in win8, even while not called that way anymore afaik)

5. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    HitManPro3 is an excellent AM scanner, the program will revert itself, after the 30-day trial period to a 'detection-only' AM scanner (no more removal), it incorporates Emsisoft+Ikarus+Dr.Web+G-Data(=Avast+BitDefender) detection besides their own in-house technology.
    It's usually ahead of the pack in detecting 0-day malware like f.i. when TDL4 came out, afaic it's quality like MBAM although not a similar program mind you.
    Spybot S&D 2.0 beta has been beta for so long, they might as well skip a number and call it 3.0 by now.
    Check for EMET info; link and link, for HIPS you could read this; link but as you like Comodo/CIS, I'd assume you already are familiar with a HIPS like Comodo's Defense+.

-edit; Be aware that if you're interested in these kind of programs, you aren't in the nonparanoid group anymore though. :)
    Boo!!! to all those who would be mad enough to even use mitigation techniques developed by Microsoft devs. Right, Dave?
    -edit2; HitmanPro3 in their most recent beta, just as an example, also has an eye for stuff like a hijacked host file filled with ASCII, redirecting to sites you don't want to go to. Read up on host file BOM (byte order mark) obfuscation link

6. davepermen

Reputations:
    well, boo to all those who think that other companies that make a living out of security software are to trust more than those who make a living out of software that they have to secure.

but well, as paranoids are everywhere, there's money to make there for ever, i guess :)

7. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What does trust or paranoia have to do with it? They all work, they all auto update, and they're all free. MSE, AVG, Avast, Avira all have more or less on-par performance just with different feature sets and layouts. Just like browsers, it comes down to personal choice and features/layout as they are all probably within arms reach of one another's performance. Choices are good.

Having an on-demand scanner to backup your real time AV is a good idea.

8. davepermen

Reputations:
    an antivirus company would go out of business if there are no viruses anymore => their goal is not to solve the virus problem

microsoft would not go out of business if there are no viruses anymore
    => their goal is to make their software as secure as possible.

but, to each it's own. people like to have their own things to think they're smart, and they like to oversecure with too much tools because of paranoya of all kinds of things that could happen.

clean installed windows with all updates (that includes by today MSE being installed automatically) + proper pc behaviour (no tweaking) is very very secure.

9. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On the other hand, it's very unlikely that there will be no viruses anymore, at least in the foreseeable future. So antivirus companies should have their work cut out for them, meaning their goal would be to improve their products so people will use/buy them. Not quite as noble as solving the virus problem, sure, but at least the end user benefits.

Not to say I'm not glad to see MSE being integrated into Windows 8. I am. I wish they had been able to do it earlier (weren't there talks about this back when Vista was in development?), but better late than never. My current security setup is pretty much just MSE + EMET, so with Win8 that would mean one less program to download after a clean install.

10. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    You are using EMET? Careful now, this means that you're part of the paranoid crowd, who don't follow proper PC behaviour.
    Tweaking your OS with an actual MS program that's not been gracefully blessed by 'Holier-than-thou' means you're acting silly. ;)
    Even when it's offering mitigation techniques that will become part of the OS in the future...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.