How many security softwares?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by nere, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nere

nere Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

In my old laptop I only used AVG free AV as it was way too slow.

I have ordered a new gaming laptop. I plan on using following:

1. AVG Antivirus
    2. WIndows 7 Firewll
    3. CCleaner.

Will this be fine. Also Do I need to install MBAM also besides these?

I don't want too many security progrmmes running in background.

Do suggest if you think I should use some other AV, firewall etc

Thanks

2. Pride

Pride Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You don't need any if you know how to delete potential viruses off your computer, IMO. Antivirus only ever manages to hog resources for me and never does anything useful...

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Good luck deleting a virus off of your computer when it's deleted your system restores and patched system files...

Anyways, AVG is pretty good. Use Adblock software in your browser and keep things up to date and you should be ok.

You may also want to consider EMET:
    Download: EMET - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

You can force Java to use EMET, which will keep things secure.

4. nere

nere Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well my point was that what are the minimum number of softwares I need on my system.

I have read on most threads that AV+Firewall+Malaware should be enough?

5. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    You should only ever run one "always-on" antivirus: it's not "the more the merrier." If you like AVG, use it along with the stock W7 firewall. If you're using a security suite that includes a firewall such as Norton Internet Security or Eset Smart Security, disable the W7 firewall. CCleaner isn't really a malware remover, but it does have its uses.

6. Ultiweap

Ultiweap Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Why dont you use only one software that will do all for you as example an Internet Security software

7. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    I agree with what you have read, AV - MSE or AVG- Win 7 firewall - Malwarebytes - free version which does not run in background & have to manually update.

8. joeyboy

joeyboy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Howdy Before you take the AGV Path I would have a look at this Results and comments - www.matousec.com AVG Internet Security 03 % score in the test ouch :( And Comodo Internet Security %94 :)

The best anti virus software reviews was conducted recently by the matousec company. Comodo came out on top %94

Hopefully this will help with your choice of AV software, if its not to late the good thing about most AV programs is thy have free trials so you can first see if it fits your system before you buy.

Why Do People Love Comodo? 96% People Do (1,763 opinions) (most loved AV in the world with 96%)

TheArkTruth has a good point you can use just one Internet Security software or you can use Computer Security Software Represented By A Top Antivirus Software >>> Top Antivirus Software

9. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    Funny thing is though that Matousec doesn't test AV's. At all.
    They test 'Security suites' and mostly the HIPS part. These are not AV detection tests.
    Also keep in mind that Matousec has rigid 'level testing'.
    If a program fails at test number 4 out of hundred, they stop testing and note that the program only scored 3% while tests 5 to 100 actually haven't been done at all. Fyi.

10. NotebookNeophyte

NotebookNeophyte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did I read this correctly? NO Antivirus protection at all? I humbly and respectfully but vehemently disagree.....the best removal is not becoming infected in the first place....why would you possibly want to deal with removing threats once they've taken root in your system and perhaps have already been causing damage before symptoms arise...prevention is much easier..and as for hogging resources..it totally depends on which program you use....I use a suite (Norton Internet Security 2012) with Windows Firewall turned off..and it has an extremely light and virtually unnoticable footprint...I also have malwarebytes free version...which does not run in real time in the background but is there for me to update manually and use at my leisure for some extra piece of mind....just my 2 cents!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.