How many of you dual boot/run Linux on your Thinkpad?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by csclifford, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csclifford

csclifford Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mostly curious since I just began dual booting Ubuntu 11.10 on my T420s.

Never before used Linux and I can say that as of now I'm pretty addicted. Having no limitations in an operating system is truly awesome, and I have so much to learn.

How many of you run a version of Linux on your Thinkpad? I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it's running on mine.

I know we have a Linux on X220 thread, but it'd be nice to hear from those with other Thinkpads as well!

2. rumbero

rumbero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Running Debian Linux almost exclusively since i started using my first Thinkpad T23 in mid 2005. Currently running Debian unstable on a T61+ Frankenpad. While i have always had Windows installed, since a valid license came with the machine, i never really bothered using it because Linux is so much more versatile.

3. Oscar590

Oscar590 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wanted to, but the fact that none of the ThinkVantage software is compatible with Linux turned me away.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've been dabbling with Linux for five or six years now. While I know a lot more than I used to, I'm still an amateur. Right now, I've got Ocelot running on my R60e.

5. mtt1

mtt1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've started playing with Linux I don't know how long ago. ;) Using it more or less exclusively for about five years now. I kept Windows on my old laptop though, for university stuff and who knows what, but only booted it about once every six months.

My new X220 came without OS, I installed Debian testing.

As for missing ThinkVantage support. I'm mostly relying on the command line, so I might not be able to give the best advice on it, but when I tried a full-fledged installation with Gnome once, everything worked out of the box and modern window managers come with a full suite of configuration tools of themselves. Why not boot a Linux live version from a USB key (if you haven't already done) and see if you are actually missing something? (I wouldn't know what is included in ThinkVantage. ;) )

6. diggy

diggy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just last week I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my T510. I'm a complete noob to Ubuntu, but it seems to be running very well on the hardware. I thought for sure I would have to work to get some of the drivers installed, but all worked fine (I was really only concerned with networking and graphics). I'm getting my feet wet with the OS, but like someone else said, I've got a lot to learn.

7. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 on my machine. I've almost never used Linux on my ThinkPad, though...

8. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    I occasionally use Ubuntu Linux 11.04 on my T420, though rather than dual booting I use it as a Virtual Machine inside my Windows OS with VMWare Workstation and it's pretty smooth going.

9. csclifford

csclifford Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Who here has tried different distros of Linux?

Currently I'm okay with Ubuntu, but would like to hear about some of the other distributors as well.

10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I only run my Knoppix boot disc if I'm trying to diagnose something or for Gparted...

Knoppix is based off Debian/Mint. I like Knoppix as it just boots up, and I have yet to find a WLAN card it does not have a driver for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.