How many FX system still visit this site (Poll)

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by TANWare, Aug 14, 2012.

?

Please choose your poison.........

Poll closed Oct 13, 2012.
  1. P68xx FX

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. P78xx FX

32 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. P79xx FX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Converted to a P79xx FX

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Other, please post and explain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tallan

tallan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I bid my 7811FX a sad but final farewell yesterday as I sent it off to Kopila Valley orphanage and school in Nepal. A friend is one of the engineers on a major expansion project there, and I felt that the kids would get a lot more benefit from the machine than I have recently, so I sent it along with him, with my Asus U80V-B2 14" laptop to keep it company.

So in a very real sense it's gone on to a better future and I have few regrets, although it will be missed!

downloads likes this.
  2. hizzo3

hizzo3 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm still running my P6831fx I pulled off eBay as a 'dead' laptop about 7 years ago. I upgraded the ram, put in a SSD, threw in a T9300 and honestly, it runs just as good as my new has well cored work laptop. I still game on it, while having to dial back the graphics a bit. Chances are when I upgrade, I'll give it to my youngest brother since his last laptop died.

3. rtalberg

rtalberg Newbie

Reputations:
    I am still running my P-7800 FX upgraded to ssd drive a couple years ago upgraded cpu and memory.
    Having some issues so I have returned to the site for help

4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    What kind of issues?

5. JohnWhoTwo

JohnWhoTwo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm still checking in every once and awhile just to see if mine is the only one still running.

:)

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    My P79xx was a W10 machine but it just went back to W7. My primary concern is privacy. Not that ist is not controlable for now but the policies do not reassure this will always be the case.

7. MegaManX

MegaManX Newbie

Reputations:
    My 7811FX is still alive. Albeit slow, but man I just can't bring myself to replace it with something newer. The value of this thing shatters anything else I look at. I was close to an Alienware 17R3 with the 4k screen (i mean it has a 980GTX vs this 9800GTS haha) but for the cost, non-removable battery, etc. couldn't do it.

And when you add all the upgrades I was able to do to keep it current, and the fun of tearing it down and rebuilding. Windows 7 Updates no longer work but I was going to re-image it anyway to fix it.

Anyone else replace theirs yet? And with what?

8. TANWare

Reputations:
    Not replaced so to say but I did get the Samsung Gamer. My P79xx still runs well though.

9. TreeTops Ranch

TreeTops Ranch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still alive here as well with my 7805u. I use this thing daily 3-4 hours doing business stuff like Quickbooks, Excel, Word and fun stuff like photo and video editing. Took the back off yesterday to clean it out. Found a little dust bunny in fan area but all in all it looked pretty clean. I have appreciated all those that have helped us in this forum. (Especially TANWare)

I am getting ready to do a disk image to an external drive as I don't know how much longer this great computer will last. But I don't know if a disk image will work on a different computer. Does anyone know?

10. andy A

andy A Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't visit much anymore but still use the old 7811 every night. Still does what is required of it. My Targus/LiteOn 180w power brick finally bite the dust this week though. Brick itself is okay but the wire broke at the flex joint coming out of the brick. And as bad as it sounds I am still using Vista on it, just been to lazy to upgrade it to 7.

The BluRay player I added bit the dust, so have to get another one of those at some point.

Cheers
    Andy

Last edited: May 2, 2016