How many FX system still visit this site (Poll)

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by TANWare, Aug 14, 2012.

?

Please choose your poison.........

Poll closed Oct 13, 2012.
  1. P68xx FX

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. P78xx FX

32 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. P79xx FX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Converted to a P79xx FX

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Other, please post and explain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Glad to hear it still works well. If it were not for my dislike of Window 8 the I would still be on my P79xx. But things be as they will be,

2. tallan

tallan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When Win 8 was first released I hated it, but the latest version (which I would label 8.1b) is much improved and I've actually gotten to like it quite a lot, even more than Win 7; if you haven't tried the most current version maybe give it a spin. I haven't benchmarked the performance but it seems quite lightfooted and quick, even on older hardware. The only issue I had installing on my P7811 was the driver for the SD card which I fixed via the last Win7/Vista driver at the manufacturer's Web page.

3. TANWare

Reputations:
    I do not specifically remember with 8.0 having an issue with the SD reader. I was part of the beta and tried the RTM of 8 but the final straw that kicked it for me was the loss of aero glass on the window borders. They just bother me to no end visually and actually make using any Windows 8 system just too annoying. Thanks though, update one is getting there but they still have a long way to go before making me a convert.

4. Omexis

Omexis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ditto :) Does all I need!

5. tallan

tallan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I feel a bit like a traitor, but must confess to succumbing to the siren song of a shiny new MSI GS60 Pro laptop; just too many neat bells & whistles for me to resist at a bargain price that reminds me of the value the P7811FX represented back in the day. So for now old faithful is back in its bag, but I'm sure I'll break it out from time to time as I really do love the thing and the keyboard is maybe my favorite laptop board of all time (right next to the original ThinkPad and Apple's Titanium Powerbook).

6. oreoleo

oreoleo Newbie

Reputations:
    First time posting on these forums!
    7801u checking in - i've had an ssd in these thing for awhile (imo best bang for the buck)
    Now got the upgrade itch so picked up a t9900 to replace the p8400 for $70.

Any roadblocks I might encounter? Should I upgrade the bios? (i'm still on 9c.08.00)

7. TANWare

Reputations:
    The bios version will be fine. Good replacement CPU too.

8. x002657

x002657 Newbie

Reputations:
    I still do. Am currently looking for way to have a 2nd SSD recognized. The system originally came with 2 HDDs, but I upgraded from Vista to Win7 64 and replaced the HDDs with SSDs, but I've never been able to get the 2nd SSD recognized. Am seraching for a way to do that.

9. TANWare

Reputations:
    It is not even recognized by the Bios? If not then read the documentation of both drives. They may need to have jumpers for both or either to be slave masters.

10. tallan

tallan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just checking in after a six week hiatus out on the bleeding edge. Back on the 7811 for bit; why doesn't anybody make as good a keyboard these days? Even the MacBook's boards have lost tactile feedback and keypress depth as Apple slimmed the machines down.

Anyway for anyone interested I can say now from experience that for routine tasks like e-mail and Web surfing you give up very little with the FX if you upgrade it with a decent SSD and a 9600 or better CPU. While I wouldn't try to game much a lot of programs even today only use one core and the best bang for the buck is definitely the SSD.

Glad to see the thread is still active: rock on Gateway, rock on; gone but not forgotten!