How long would a DELL OEM Battery stored in warehouse for five years last?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by jack53, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Rokobo

Rokobo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I go by empirical evidence - not by Snopes or such. The electrochemical process of aging is rather complex, and I have no explanation for this, but in my case it worked. May not work for you.

Electric shock can also bring a battery from the dead, but this is for the most terminal stages, when the BMS doesn't detect the cells any longer.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah. hasn't worked for anyone I know who tried it. That's why I said urban myth. No, of course not snopes etc. Myths have been around LONG before the interweb.

3. jack53

jack53 Dell XPS L322x Lover!

Reputations:
    That's what I thought...

kojack likes this.
  4. Rokobo

Reputations:
    I am not invoking hearsay. My personal experience may be different from 'anyone I know'.
    There is no harm. And you may discover the difference between an opinion and a judgement.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's not hearsay, it's first hand experience since I was present when they were "trying it". I told them it wouldn't work. and I was correct.

6. Rokobo

Reputations:
    Present for 72 hours? It worked for my old M4700 battery: it went up to 4 hours from 1hr 20ish min 2 years ago and still holding it.
    Was just trying to help. No need to spread the primitive thread.

cfe likes this.
  7. cfe

cfe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This is no mere urban legend or myth. Different types of batteries have different ways of revival or lifespan improvement from temporary storage in the freezer. NiCad, NiMH, or Li-ion determines which method is appropriate and why (ie scientifically sound, based on chemical fact).

NiCad battery can be have enhanced capacity/perf after discharge then frozen in freezer, in a different way and for different reason than lithium ion. NiCad/MH as well suffers from depression/need for reset memory, unlike Li-on which operates on wholly separate principles.

Li-on battery can be successfully revived after clipped to healthy battery, charged, discharged by heavy load, placed in freezer, removed and left at room temp, then charged.

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't need to watch it freeze....SERIOUSLY?