How long would a DELL OEM Battery stored in warehouse for five years last?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by jack53, Mar 23, 2019.

1. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    I'm extremely happy with my six year old Dell XPS 13 L322X laptop. Really fast and reliable.

So, I decided to replace the battery in my Dell XPS 13 L322X as it was six years old and only
    holding a charge for less than two hours. So I ordered a new one OEM one from Newegg.

OEM Genuine Original Y9N00 Battery DELL XPS 13 47WH 13-L322X

My question is; How long would a DELL OEM Battery stored in warehouse for five years last? I'm hoping it hasn't aged just sitting and not being used? The Dell reviews say the battery should last 4-7 hours with medium use, but that was brand new at the time. If it is not going to give me more than four hours, I may just send it back before opening the package, or if someone answers quick enough, I'll cancel the order.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't worry, it isn't five years old, it's much more likely a fake ;(
    Dell don't sell batteries via third parties, in fact they have a big problem providing them for just a year or two old laptops at their service.
    Generally it is healthier ordering replacement batteries sold as compatible from a reputable battery brand if you can find such (folks that spend more time on selecting batteries than on copying the labels). Or even better buy laptops from brands that do supply reasonably priced replacement batteries after five years.

3. jack53

Reputations:
    Well, Dell doesn't carry batteries for that laptop anymore even though it is high end one being XPS. I got one off eBay that said Genuine Dell battery but it wasn't because dell batteries have a chip in them that detects batteries. You get a warning: "Warning: The battery is not recommended battery. The system will unable to charge this battery. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup the utility.
    So I got lucky, when I asked for a return, the seller not only instantly refunded my money and told me don't bother shipping it back as to save me shipping cost.

Now I've been reading that Newegg has Genuine OEM batteries for it, so I ordered one for $45.
    OEM Genuine Original Y9N00 Battery DELL XPS 13 47WH 12 13-L321X 13-L322X 489xn

But I've also read the the only Genuine OEM battery that Dell recommends is sold by
    https://www.parts-people.com
    Exact OEM Replacement
    Originally shipped with laptop from Dell.
    Found Using Your Dell Service Tag D5HM1Y1

and that one is expensive at $120 plus tax $130!

If I find this is the only battery that works for my XPS, then I'll just sell
    this laptop and apply that $130 toward new laptop.

I do NOT like it when big name companies like Dell, Nikon force you to buy their brand batteries.
    I did have this problem with my Samsung, Lenovo laptops I had. Aftermarket batteries worked just great, not problems.
    So I might not buy from Dell if this is what they do.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They tend to sit circa 50% charge from new meaning they will sit on a shelf happily for several years.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    jack53 likes this.
  5. jack53

Reputations:
    Ah ha!!! I found the easy way to fix this battery warning at startup.
    When you start the laptop, keep tapping F2 until the BIOS screen shows up.
    Then scroll left to Advanced.
    Then scroll down to Adapter Warnings.
    Change enabled to Disabled.
    Then scroll to EXIT
    Make sure "Exit Saving Changes" is selected, then hit "Enter" on keyboard, then "Yes".
    That's it!

6. jack53

Reputations:
    Well, since my last post, I've bought three different batteries and installed them. The last two were "claimed" OEM batteries. I have yet to go past 2.5 hours with them. My six year old battery will do just short of two hours.

The Dell XPS 13 L322X ran for 4 hours and 52 minutes in a couple video playback battery drain test on reviews. So why can't mine do that... what gives???

Other than the low battery time, this laptop is fast and has been great. I'm not buying a new one for a couple more years.

pressing likes this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    did you get the battery from parts-people?

jack53 likes this.
  8. jack53

Reputations:
    I ordered a new one OEM one from Newegg, it gets 2.5 hours pretty much every time doing online stuff.

9. jack53

Reputations:
    Any solutions to why any battery I buy won't last over 2.5 hours???

10. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Look up battery-life a few optimization guides. Mostly it is about getting rid of unnecessary background processes, and finding more power-efficient software.

jack53 likes this.