1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

how long will my SSD last

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by Danielson761729, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Danielson761729

Danielson761729 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, i am looking to buy a Crucial 256gb sata 2.5i Solid state drive for my Acer Aspire 5750G lappy,

I have heard alot about SSD's having a very Finite amount of read/writes that can be performed before the Drive becomes faulty.

any research i have done on this has led me way beyond my limited computer knowledge and i end up with figures i cant relate to so my question is this.

how long will this crucial 256gb SSD last me (me being the average user IE; i use mozzilla firefox every day do some moderate word processing gaming the odd editing with adobe premiere elements and photoshop elements)

i have kept my question relatively general; because i imagine im not the first or the last to ask this question.
    thanks in advance,
    Dan.

2. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    it will last longer than you could ever care about the ssd. longer than your laptop, the next one..

just don't care about it AT ALL. nothing lasts for ever. what matters is, does it last long ENOUGH (YES! YES YES YES), and will it suddendly die randomly? (NO! NO NO NO, unlike harddrives).

especially on a 256gb ssd, it just doesn't matter at all.

3. Danielson761729

Danielson761729 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thankyou very much, thats the lamens answer i needed. Super boot times here i come

4. wpcoe

wpcoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    And, in the other corner, I have a low-end Kingston SSD that I bought and installed about 1.5 years go, and this is what the SSDLife software shows me:

Attached Files:

5. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, what have you been using that drive for? It should have 34nm if not 50nm NAND, both of which last 10+ years even if you reinstall Windows 7 once a day, every day.

6. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ?

you cut of the gb you've written to it. my intel ssds, after years of using them, still show 100%.

7. ivan_cro

ivan_cro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well, lifetime of ssd depends on usage, current generation has approximately 3000 writes per cell. Depending on type of use and controller in question that's in reality 1000 - 4000 writes.
    Since m4 has 1.1 average wa, that's about 2700 writes per cell.

However, if you don't write constantly huge amounts of data to your drive that should last 5-10 years or even more for 256gb drive (256*2700 = 691200GB, and if you write 100gb a day which is a lot it'll last 6912 days, or approximately 19 years for flash alone to become unusable).

therefore, no worries ;)

8. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I`ve had this SSD for 2 years now. Go figure :rolleyes:
    Love Intel <3

[​IMG]

9. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    ^^^ Cloudfire, is your point that the toolbox display is not accurate? I have the same SSD (80 GIG) & after 1.5 yrs I get the same display as yours.

Thanks Cloudfire - I guess I will not give mine away afterall

vVVVVVVVVVV

10. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    No I meant that my drive (and yours) will work for many years since we have`nt had any health decrease during 2 years. Its very impressive, because I am using this laptop every single day. :)