How long has your Dell laptop lasted without repair?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Chump_Diggity, Jul 24, 2011.

?

How long has your dell laptop lasted for you?

1. Less than 1 year

66 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. 2 years

43 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. 3 years

44 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4 years+

154 vote(s)
    50.2%
  1. timfountain

timfountain Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Still have a 600M running Windows 7 32-bit. Pentium M 2.0GHz 2GB memory, 60G PATA SSD and the wonderful 1400x1050 screen. It's still surprisingly useful apart from Youtube,which lags a bit!

2. colin.p

colin.p Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought a Dell 1545 and a 1012 Netbook in March of 2010. Both have never given me a lick of trouble. I use 16.04 on the laptop, and 14.04 on the Netbook.

3. bananam8nuk

bananam8nuk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    have had a 15z inspiron for around 4 years now, gave it to the new GF some time ago(now the WF!)
    so its had some abuse trust me, but still going, gonna upgrade to windows 10 tomorrow, see if I can finally kill it off, prob will carry on, like the flaming WF's cat, 84 and going strong!!

4. fiziks

fiziks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought my father-in-law a Dell (forget which model) 11 years ago. After removing the bloatware (if you think it's bad now, it's nothing compared to what Dell was preloading 11 years ago) it performed very well. It was finally put into semi-retirement earlier this year when I got him a refurbished Thinkpad. Only problem was about a year after getting the Dell he loaded something on it and totally screwed it up and I was out of town so I couldn't help him. He contacted Dell support. He waited on hold for about half an hour to speak to a live human being. But once he got a live person, that person stayed on the phone with him for an hour and a half and walked him through a complete reinstall of Windows XP, drivers and a restore of all his personal files (thank &deity he does backups).

alexhawker likes this.
  5. OSihota

OSihota Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I was a full-time university student I used to go through an Acer or Toshiba laptop every year or two. Then I went into the work force and got introduced to Dell Latitude machines. When I went back to school around 2010 I bought myself a Dell Latitude E4300, I then started my own real-estate company and used ONLY that laptop for my business for two whole years. I spilled entire cups of tea and once my gf at the time spilled her entire Venti pumpkin spice latte right on the keyboard, it was oozing out the ports, somehow that computer is still running right now. It is connected to my living room tv. I actually ended up having to buy a newer Dell Latitude E5440 because I could no longer run needed software on my Core 2 Duo E4300. Now that I have again returned to university in order to complete a degree I have been searching for the perfect laptop. Right now it is between the E5450, or the E7470.

That all said, I am a business person. I'm either working or I'm in business school and Dell Latitude laptops are built to last in such situations. If I had known they existed before I got into the workforce I would have bought one long ago. Most people are not business people and do not need a laptop as rugged as I do, nor do they need docking stations etc. I'm pretty sure if other Dell's were built as rugged as the business class machines Dell would have a much better reputation in terms of durability.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    dan76 likes this.
  6. ratboy

ratboy Newbie

Reputations:
    I have my dell xps 17 for about 7y now and appart from a dead battery hardly no issues at all. I have to mention i dissasemble it every year to clean and repaste the notebook as it runs almost 24/7. I use it for watching movies, gaming and photoshop so all components are well used. Only issues i had are limited to software only. In the meantime i also been thru two acers and an msi notebook in the meantime. I even have a 13y old dell inspiron running win7 only issue it has is the temperature driven fan that keeps running full speed. So you can pretty much say dell are the only pc's that will be purchased in the future.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H815 met Tapatalk

jaug1337 and dan76 like this.
  7. dan76

dan76 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's a great post, thanks. I can't say enough about the new Latitude 7000 series. I recently bought the E7450 (looks like Dell just released the E7480 as the current version). The 7000 are noticeably thinner and better build quality over the 5000... and can be more highly spec'd. That, and the keyboard to me is much better on the 7000 series.

My primary laptop is still the XPS 12 I've used daily for nearly 3 years, it has been flawless. I'm an IT professional and purchase and setup hundreds of laptops and always recommend Dell. The Latitude series is certainly the best for the business professional on the go. I look forward to migrating to the larger screen of the E7450 and have need of the dedicated ethernet port and full size HDMI.

OSihota and ratboy like this.
  8. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Quick update.

My Dell XPS M1530 is going strong with it's 10 year anniversary, but IIRC I've only had it 8-9 years, oh well.

Almost dead battery, but I've also had to take it apart once or twice a year to repaste and blow the dust out once in awhile, otherwise it is going strong now. Just installed CloudReady on it (Chromium (Custom Chrome OS)).

It runs like a speed devil. Also installed a Intel 330 120GB SSD in it a few years back to revive it. W10 unfortunately made it a bit dull, so I went full Chromium build.

9. trustame

trustame Newbie

Reputations:
    Precision 5510... 1 month

10. johnydavid

johnydavid Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.
    Dell Vostro 3750. No problems either. Running stock config.