How long has your Dell laptop lasted without repair?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Chump_Diggity, Jul 24, 2011.

?

How long has your dell laptop lasted for you?

1. Less than 1 year

66 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. 2 years

43 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. 3 years

44 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4 years+

154 vote(s)
    50.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    My Inspiron 1520 (Vostro 1500) is still going strong. Got it September of 2007

2. CharlieDigital

CharlieDigital Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For the last few years, I've been buying refurbished Dell Latitudes (E6400, E4310, E6410, E5500) and have not had a single repair issue.

Given the price I paid for each of them (low), I've been really surprised by the overall quality of the Latitude line at least. My E6410 has developed a bit of looseness in the screen hinge, but other than that, it's withstood everything -- even a customer I was working with spilling tea on the internals :eek: (luckily no sugar in it).

The one time I had to call Dell support was when I got my first E6400 and the power brick was defective on arrival (no blue LED, no charging). Had it replaced without question and didn't have to ship back my broken one. I remember the service rep even gave me his direct cell phone number in case I needed to follow up.

Overall, if not for what I consider a downgrade from the E6410 to the E6420, I probably would have stuck with Dell. I'm also a bit disappointed that the E6420 doesn't support 16GB and that the M4600 is such an ugly duckling. I primarily do software development and work daily with virtual machines so I need as much RAM and as many cores as I can get.

Currently rocking a beastly Envy 17, but I'm kind of hesitant to buy up to the EliteBooks due to some questionable quality and support from HP based on forums and online reviews on HP's own site. I would LOVE to see a competitive alternative to the 8460w from Dell either in the Latitude or Precision line. Traveling with a 17" laptop is not fun.

But pro-tip for folks buying Dell: stick to their business line and don't hesitate to buy from Dell Outlet.

3. dan76

dan76 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm curious to hear about the durability and reliability of the XPS 13 Ultrabook... any takers out there?

4. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    My Vostro 1500 is still kicking butt after 5 years. The only maintenance i've done is opening up the laptop and cleaning out the dust bunnies from the exhaust fan.

5. jeffmd

jeffmd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The only repair my 1505 needed was for the broke hinge, which I did myself. Aside from that it has worked wonders and I am even upgrading lots of its hardware inexpensively.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

6. Redteam

Redteam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My XPS M1730 died after just over a year.
    The graphics card burnt out and a replacement was priced at more than the whole laptop originally cost.
    Of course I only had a years warranty.
    Extremely disappointed because I treated that laptop very carefully, no overclocking, no mods, etc.
    The fan used to turn on at 75 degrees and cool it down to 55 degrees and then let it climb back up to 75 degrees again - I think that is just bad engineering on a laptop that was supposedly designed for gaming.

7. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I recommend business models from the Dell Outlet to everyone I know that is looking for a laptop ... most usually want something a little more flash (and end up with some poor quality $399 walmart special).

Every laptop I have had came from the Dell outlet (except for the Acer netbook, of course) and I have had great luck with them!

8. F.Q. KrapBag

F.Q. KrapBag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    0 Days, waiting for my 3rd replacement...
    last chance

9. 80sGuy

80sGuy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From day one!
    Replacing parts on my 5 month old XPS17 L702x again tomorrow. Been repairing/replacing parts every other month since I've had it.

10. Chris_ast1

Chris_ast1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This poll lacks few very important aspects:
    - do you have laptop with/without dGPU ?
    - what TDP does your CPU have?

Those two may be - I think - responsible for failure rates!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.